Wireless storage drive?

exe163

[H]ard|Gawd
I will be going to college next year and will switch to a laptop only solution with SSD only. My question is, what can I use as main storage drives that lets me wirelessly transfer files? I have a pair of 1.5tb drives and would like to use them to store all my videos, picture, music and everything I don't use as often. It would be great if it supports RAID1.

While this can be done with a NAS or some wireless routers with usb ports can't you connect the drives with a usb or network cable. The data transfer will be slow over wireless.

While this can be done with a NAS or some wireless routers with usb ports can't you connect the drives with a usb or network cable. The data transfer will be slow over wireless.

Well that's troublesome every time I leave or enter the room :D. Will a Drobo work? Or maybe a USB raid docking station connected to a wireless router?

It would be great if there's something automatically connects to the computer when the computer is in rage, if the speed is sufficient to stream h264 videos.

if the speed is sufficient to stream h264 videos

If the network is congested at all wireless G will be insufficient. For example I can stream 1080p h264 over wireless G in my home but there are many others on the list for my htpc software who require wireless N for that to work.

I don't have a laptop yet but will get a rather advance one in the coming months, so it should have N. I don't understand how data is transferred using wifi. Does that mean I can't go online while transferring files? Does that apply to wireless prints as well? How do NAS work then?

Does that mean I can't go online while transferring files?

No, Its pretty much the same as if you had a wired network only slower and less secure.

How do NAS work then?

A nas is generally a low powered linux machine that uses linux software raid and allows windows access to the filesystem using samba which uses the same protocol windows uses for network file and print servers. Some of these may come with a wireless nic. I have not checked.

If you have an old PC you can make it into a nas by installing freenas.

Back