Wireless speed under wireless network connection status fluctuating????

SultanGris

Limp Gawd
when i double click the icon in my systray of the the flashing monitor, which opens my wireless network connection status window, the number next to Speed fluctuates between 11.0 Mbps to 54.0 Mbps. I just updated my dlink wbr 2310 routers firmware to 1.03 from 1.02 because previously i was getting randomly disconnected. Its only been a couple days, but i havnt yet noticed that ive been randomly disconnected anymore, but now my connection speed fluctuates, where with the old firmware, i never once saw it change. what could be causing this change? as its screwing up my online gaming, causing me to lag when it drops way down. I never had a problem with the speed changing before, and cant find any setting that looks like it could be linked to such an event, though im no networking expert, so i may be missing something. what does anyone think of this problem? thanks.

microwaves and wireless phones can screw with wireless networks.
Have you updated your wireless NIC drivers?

No, i have not updated the wireless card drivers, not a bad idea to try even though theyve been working fine so far. and there is absolutely no interference whatsoever, I got rid of my 2.9 ghz wireless phones, or whatever the frequency, years ago after i figgured out that every time i used it i lost connection, lol.

for home use, belkin > *

but seriously, you're problem sounds like its simply interference, be it internally from your house, or coming in from outside.

Well, to put it in perspective for ya, I live on a farm in rural ND, my nearest neighbors are 3/4 of a mile away. There is nothing around now that wasnt around before when i had no problems. problem didnt occur till i flashed the firmware of the router, but before i flashed it, i had a different problem, that problem was random disconnects. it only started happening a month or two ago, and again, nothing new around that would cause that either.

Maybe time for an upgtade? Try moving you computer closer to the router and placing it away from any metal objects and windows.

got a different router, and now it works fine. it seems to be a developing trend that none of my wireless routers ever last more than about 4 months. they work flawlessly for 4 months, then after that they turn to crap. sometimes new firmware makes them work for a while longer, and sometimes it makes them develop other problems and work less.

Back