Wireless speed dropped rediculously...

So Ive noticed that my wifi speed on my notebook has really slowed down recently. Using the internet has become tedious on it and it was fine a few weeks ago. As I type this the little icons in the box are still loading. So I checked my network status and my laptop is connected with an excellent signal strength at 1.0 mbps! What the hell? It was just 54 a matter of weeks ago. What could cause this and how do I fix it?

Have you tried it using other access points with the same result? Did you upgrade the drivers or did windows update upgrade the wireless drivers for you recently?

It may be that one of the antenna connections has been jarred loose, but more likely that either the card inside your laptop or your router is on its last legs.

Router is practically new..got it in october I believe. Laptop is 3 years old. I haven't updated my drivers recently and I don't think windows has either. I will try with an old router and see if its the same.

In addition to trying an old router, try to have someone else connect to it from their computer and see if the speed is ok for them. This will let you know where the problem is.

Does it connect at a faster speed closer to the router?

Also, do you live in an apartment complex? If so did you change the channel to the highest or lowest number? In my complex there are now 23 networks on channel 6 that I can see, 2 on channel 11(or what ever is highest) and 1 besides mine on channel 1.

Also, some Microwave ovens can cause problems with the network (improper shielding/damaged in transport), as well as some 2.4Ghz cordless phones.

Have you tried connecting you laptop to another network as well as have another laptop connect to your network? See if you can isolate the problem to a specific device.

Also make sure you're actually attached to your wireless router rather than a neighbors one, and make sure yours is locked down so other people aren't leaching off of yours.

Another thing is cordless phones and even microwaves can interfere with 2.4Ghz as well, so that's a possible issue. You might ever try power cycling your router if you haven't done that too.

Ok so I've basically narrowed it down to the router being the problem. I tried an old router and it worked fine. I also noticed the slow speeds with the problem router when using it with my iphone as well. What could the problem be with the router? Is there any setting changes I should try?

Ok wow, changing the the standard and wide channels from auto to the highest setting instantly made my speed jump up to 54mbps! What could it have been? Come to think of it I don't think my old router was set to auto...

Back