Wireless Security Cameras - Anyone expierenced?

whittech

Weaksauce
does anyone currently use, or has used/setup wireless security cameras?
i want to get a few cameras around the house and have them internet accessible
it seems to me like it would be much more ideal for me, rather than buying a camera dvr, running wires, etc. wireless would be cheaper right?
how could i record from the cameras onto my pc? 24/7 or motion sensor recording

thanks in advance

This is mostly just a bump, because I'm looking to do something similar, except for outside my house and would like to hear what others have to say about something like this.

In the meantime, I've been checking out www.x10.com, as they seem to have some good cameras and kits available, but no all-in-one PVR kit.

I was able to find a few places that sell PVR kits with a recorded and cameras, but they all start at around 600-700 bucks which is a bit high for my purposes. Maybe that's a good start. Hope that helps to some extent, and I'll be checking back to see what everyone else says.

The video quality sucks, point blank.

I bought a 4-cam set and didnt even bother to finish the install. It rides on the same frequency as the cordless, routers, microwaves, toasters, blenders, chi. That is, almost anything causes interference.

I'm currently using a 4 camera wired system. Connected to an Aviosys 9100A.

Stay away from the eBay PCI cards w/ software for $10. The software is guaranteed NOT to work.

I've seen 4-Camera IR wireless (you still wired power) on eBay but cannot comment on the quality.

i was inquiring about wireless setups because i wanted to try to get coverage in a few areas without having to deal with wiring.
It seems to me the wireless setups are geared more toward internet access to the camera to check them on the fly, not for consistant recording for archiving. I have used a couple setups with dvrs (wired cams) that i bought from costco.com , but they were both over $1000 and included multiple cameras.

If anyone uses any wireless internet cameras and records video from them, I'd love to hear about it.

The video quality sucks, point blank.

I bought a 4-cam set and didnt even bother to finish the install. It rides on the same frequency as the cordless, routers, microwaves, toasters, blenders, chi. That is, almost anything causes interference.

I'm currently using a 4 camera wired system. Connected to an Aviosys 9100A.

Stay away from the eBay PCI cards w/ software for $10. The software is guaranteed NOT to work.

I've seen 4-Camera IR wireless (you still wired power) on eBay but cannot comment on the quality.

i should clarify that by wireless, I didn't mean battery powered. Assuming these ip cameras are not self powered, I meant wireless viewing and recording.

Where did you buy your DVR? Anyone know a good place to buy dvr's. Reliable and fair priced? All I know of right now is bundled kits at costco, and Frys which is way over priced. Sorry if my posts are worded strangely. I'm on my iPhone in class trying multitask!

I've worked with Intellinets IP cameras
http://www.intellinet-network.com/

They have wireless models. Most IP cameras these days can be viewed through a web browser. And if you give them static LAN IPs, and do the correct port forwarding...you can hit them from across the internet. Most of them allow you do change their ports also..so you can have multiple cameras behind a NAT box...and if you forwards the different port ranges to each camera...from the outside world...just enter the custom port at the end of the WAN IP of DNS alias you have.

For recording software, with the Intellinets I've set them up with Go1984.com
Many brands have their own recording software now...Linksys and DLink both produce a range of IP cameras with a software suite.

I am looking into getting some type of setup. I want at least one camera outside my front door were I park my motorcycle. Locks are great, however nothing keeps a determined person from breaking them.

Thought about some of the fake ones that look real high-tech.

Ditto- I am curious what you came up with as I am finding myself in the same situation... running lines to it, although a pain I can do it.

Back