Wireless Router problems/ drawbacks

mossman

Gawd
I am concidering going to wireless. Will my download speeds change? Will there be more lag when I am onliune gaming. What should I expect? Thanks guys

802.11b is rated at 11 Mbps, even fast cable/dsl connections (usually) top out around 3 Mbps. No loss of download speed or lag when gaming, the router will be faster than your connection to the internet.

802.11g is even faster at 54 Mbps, certainly worth considering if you're going to setup the network to transfer files between machines etc.....

So if no network was to be set up between machines (I dont want my sisters viruses, damn Internet Explorer user) is there any other drawbacks to 802.11b. I will mainly use my system for downloading complete concerts (which are huge files, and also legal) gaming over the net, and searching for pr0n (cant get enough of those fish like creatures :rolleyes: )
Any drawbacks in this set-up, I just figured "g" was the way to go since its faster, but if my cable modem is the bottleneck then there is no real reason.

Depends on how far you're going to be from the router, etc.

Like I just set up a wireless router for my brother with 802.11g he can go down the street like 3 houses down... so when's got a slow connection its still at like 5-10Mbps (1/5th - 1/10th the speed) .... still faster than cable.

But if you're starting at 11mbps max... and you're far away and it drops down to 1/5th - 1/10th... you'd only be at 1-2Mbps which would be slower than your cable modem.

Then again I'm talking about 3 houses down the street. Within an average house its usually not a problem.

I am about 100 feet and 4 walls away from the router. My sister is about 70 feet and 3 walls plus a floor above the router, my fathers computer is going to be next to the router, and were just goign to hard wire that with the Free 1ft cable from black box (in free stuff section of forum), I knew I could use this for something!
Any suggestions?

I would hardwire everything unless you want to have a mobile laptop that you can use anywhere in the house. Use wireless as the last option. 2 reasons
1- security - no wireless - more secure from neighborhood hackers/ roadwarriers
2- better connection - wires = faster & better

It really quite simple to run two Cat5 wires from your dad's PC/router/cable modem to the other 2 PCs.

I'd only go wireless if you can't get a wired connection to a machine or use it for a laptop like I do. Wireless has two big things going against it, which is security and stability of the connection. Security can be setup to keep people out who are close to you from hopping on your network, but stability can be iffy depending on the hardware you choose and how much interference from things like cordless phones and anything that uses the 2.4/5 GHz frequency can cause drops or poor speeds. You will probably get more lag in games, especially if you enable WEP as you should to stay secure, but it may not even be noticable.

Back