Wireless router install and questions

BoredTiger

Limp Gawd
Hello everyone.

I've been using a very old Linksys router for the past 5-6 years (BE????? - something or another).

I've just purchased a LINKSYS WRT54G.

I haven't opened the box yet, but I wanted to know, what types of things I should be aware of concerning security of the wireless network and installing this new router.

I'm not the most patient person, when it comes to diagnosing and troubleshooting network issues. I'd like to know if this will be a relatively "pain-free" swap of my old Linksys router to this new one with wireless functionality.

I've recently purchased a laptop that I would rather not wire to the router and sit next to my desktop (defeats the purpose). So, I purchased a wireless router. I purchased the Linksys, mainly because my prevous router was a Linksys, and I surmised that using the same OEM would possibly limit any configuration or complicated installation issues.

I am currently using VERIZON DSL, and none of their software on my machine.

I mainly websurf, online game (FPS) and also have my game console connected (having tried online-console gaming).

So here are my main questions:

Are there any particular things I should pay special attention to when I begin exchanging the old router with the new one?

Do I have to install the included software in order for the new router to work?

How concerned should I be about securing my wireless network (I've never had a wireless network)? I've heard that you can make your network "invisible" and only available to a given wireless laptop if needs be.

Will I gain any advantage in bandwidth by upgrading to the newer WRT54G router? My desktops and console will be connected by network cable (cat5). Will the throughput for wired connections be any better?

With this in mind, should I even consider buying one of those NIC cards designed for gaming (e.g. Killer NIC)?

I apologize if these are all very elementary questions for the majority of the readers in here. However, I am certain that many of you already have enough experience to assist me in my home networking solution.

Thank you all, very much, in advance.

Pay attention to? Know what you have from Verizon..possibly a Westell modem that's actually a router already doing the PPPoE. So know if it's running as a pure modem, or as a router already doing the PPPoE. In which case if it is..you want to convert your wrt to an access point. Plenty of threads on that here.

No you do not need to install any software.

Change your routers default admin password, change the default SSID for the wireless name, and use WPA or WPA2 security.

If you want your router to do PPoE you will need to setup your Westell modem as a bridge and do the PPoE on the WRT54G. That is how I had mine setup before I switched to Comcast.

Most Westell modems are similar, but search on your model, you will need the default password, and instructions on how to change the setting to bridge.

Setting up the WRT54G is pretty easy.

Thanks you for the early responses.

I will give this a go later today, but I hope more people chime in with their experiences.

I believe I tried the bridge method earlier, when I first moved in, but then a month or two later, I had to call Verizon support and change it back to "normal". I don't have too many complaints other than a rare re-start of the modem and router when the connection goes out.

But if the new router will be painless, in terms of setup, I will be very pleased.

I don't know what changing SSID means. I will try and do some research.

So this router isn't too bad, seeing as how you guys have used it?

I just want to have a router that will allow me to do what I'm doing now and also allow me to access the web with my laptop.

Thank you again.

I believe I tried the bridge method earlier, when I first moved in, but then a month or two later, I had to call Verizon support and change it back to "normal". I don't have too many complaints other than a rare re-start of the modem and router when the connection goes out..

Easy to do....
http://onlinehelp.verizon.net/consumer/bin/pdf/NetworkSteps/Case21508WiredLinksys6100.pdf
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/9687

Else, you will end up with a double NAT situation, which I never want. If you aren't successful in flipping the Westell to bridged mode, you should flipe your WRT to an access point..where you uplink it to your Westell using a LAN port, you do not use the WAN/Internet port of the Linksys. Lots of posts in this forum on how to do that.

With an existing router..if you want wireless, you generally want to add an access point, not another router.

The wrt54g series is OK...getting long in the tooth now..very old model, performance has been eclipsed by several generations of newer routers...MIMO/Pre-N, and now Draft-N. But for basic/light use, it's OK. Depending on the version you have, there are some 3rd party firmwares which can squeeze a little more performace/stability out of it. (DD-WRT for example, or Tomato)

Easy to do....
http://onlinehelp.verizon.net/consumer/bin/pdf/NetworkSteps/Case21508WiredLinksys6100.pdf
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/9687

Else, you will end up with a double NAT situation, which I never want. If you aren't successful in flipping the Westell to bridged mode, you should flipe your WRT to an access point..where you uplink it to your Westell using a LAN port, you do not use the WAN/Internet port of the Linksys. Lots of posts in this forum on how to do that.

With an existing router..if you want wireless, you generally want to add an access point, not another router.

The wrt54g series is OK...getting long in the tooth now..very old model, performance has been eclipsed by several generations of newer routers...MIMO/Pre-N, and now Draft-N. But for basic/light use, it's OK. Depending on the version you have, there are some 3rd party firmwares which can squeeze a little more performace/stability out of it. (DD-WRT for example, or Tomato)

Oh brother, so...in all honesty, you don't think the WRT54G is a very good choice, yes?

Man, I hate it when I get the wrong stuff. So...for my purposes, I game, I surf, I have a console gamer attached. The main purpose for wireless has been to accomodate my new laptop.

I've seen various people's opinions on D-Link, Netgear, etc. I really don't know all the mumbo jumbo they're talking about.

My main priority is good throughput for my desktop (when I game) and connectivity on my laptop (just working from the bedroom).

Back