Wireless router + Extender Setup Problem

GreatestOne

Limp Gawd
Hey all... need your consult on a very annoying job.

Fairly large 2 story home. AT&T U-verse 3800HGV-B DSL modem on far side of 1st floor. Hardline connection to the PC is fine always when plugged directly into the modem, about 17 Mbps. Their existing AT&T wireless router + Netgear extender was not giving them consistent results. Some details:

- Laptop (L1, Win XP) on second floor right above the modem/router, A- )
- Middle upstairs room has inconsistent results in speed and connection on 2 different laptops (L2, L3, both Win 7), C-
- Far room upstairs, B
- Far room downstairs (P1, iPad), C

So I went and got 2 Netgear products that had some of the better rating on Newegg:

NETGEAR WNDR37AV-100NAS 802.11a/b/g/n 2.4/5GHz Simultaneous Dual Band Wireless Gigabit Router for Video and Gaming
NETGEAR WN2500RP-100NAS Universal Dual Band Wi-Fi Range Extender

This has been a nightmare. I cannot even tell you what the problem is because I have run into pretty much every problem and every solution all within a few hours. Let me just jot down a quick list for you to see:

- The attached hardlined PC works only when the cable is plugged into the DSL modem directly, will not work through the router. However I was able to set up the router through the web interface, but then had to replug the cable into the DSL modem
- Called AT&T to check setting is PPPoE and the login/password to the DSL account, input into the router settings, as well as all the auto-IP/DNS stuff
- When modem and router are power reset, L1 and my phone worked always. L2 and the iPad worked about half the time. L3 refused to get back on after the second time
- Have not been able to get data off the extender even when the router was working perfectly with a couple of the devices.... I got a setup page on L2 and L3 (but not on L1) from going to a URL (something like www.wifi.....net) and going through the steps. I was able to get through all the steps with L2 and L3 and then on the final click, it goes to a "Page cannot be displayed" error, that there is a DNS error... the extender was connected to the router by the WPS push button, and saw it link up as they both turned solid green

During the setup, I had everything within 10 feet of each other to ensure that was not the problem. Any ideas? Am I so unlucky to have maybe received some bad hardware? :confused:

I suspect everything's using default IPs... you can't route in/out through the same subnets! traffic's going to 192.168.1.0/24 how does it know which side is which!?

Toss this in with the same SSID and security settings where coverage is needed. Maybe even lower the signal strength on that 2Wire and call it a day.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122388

Thanks for the reply... I dont know much about networks.. these things, when u guy the same brands and use the push button WPS, u follow the instructions and expect it to just work. Anyways, they ended up just calling Netgear and they told them to change some settings on the router and they say it works now. Good riddance. I have never had a positive experience with any extender for some reason.

Back