Wireless router as an AP... help plz

bruenor

Gawd
I have a Westell DSL wireless router/modem from Verizon already configured and working fine in my home. I have an old Xbox that I want to turn into an XBMC media center in another area of the house (only has wired ethernet port).

I figured I could get a new wireless router that had an "Access Point" mode (Belkin F5D7234-4), set it as an AP (turn AP mode on which disables everything else like DHCP, etc on it), give it an IP on the regular network's range, and then plug the xbox into it.

I did all of that but it doesn't seem like there is any way to actually get the AP to see the Westell DSL wireless router. There aren't really a ton of settings, just IP, subnet mask, SSID, and channel (which I have on a different channel than the existing Westell).

Is there something I am missing? My only other choice is to return the Belkin and get a DD-WRT compatible wireless router to use in bridged mode... is this just a better way to go? It just seemed like the AP mode should work since it is just a simple setup.

Back