Wireless repeaters

Huan

[H]ard|Gawd
I"m wondering if any one can recommend me a wireless repeater that can penetrate 2 to 3 feet of concrete with its signal.. We are needing some for our hotel and i'm attempting to get a head start on research for some.. I believe that the signal will be on the g series of the wireless broadcasting....

Any suggestions appreciated in advance

Been there, done that recently.

Find away to go around it, or drill a hole and run some Cat5 to the other AP. If you boost signal on one AP to try to penetrate that wall you'll just cause more noise for the other AP's if nothing more than by the reflection.

Is there any way to go above or below the concrete (wall? floor?)?

Set one AP right against it, see what your signal is on a laptop or something on the other side. If you're using Cisco, just check the signal quality between to AP's. If it won't work with the AP's right next to the concrete, it pretty much won't work.

You COULD buy a Linksys or Dlink, and set it directly beside the wall, THEN buy a Linksys or Dlink repeater and sit it directly on the other side... it may very well work.....

QJ

Sorry for the realy delayed reply.. We will have AP's routed partially by the state techs themselfs... But they are not concerned about coverage for the entire hotel.. Thats where we come in.. we are gonna try and spread the signal to the rest of the hotel (( damn state contracts )) .. I have a question or two... Is there such a thing as a device that will detect a wireless signal without a laptop? And how many repeaters can you use? There a limit at all??

First, yes there is WiFi scanner existing. TEW-429UB from TrendNet is an example.

Secondly, to my common sence, maybe you could try to do an Infrastructure based network, so the wifi AP could work together like a grid. (When you are too far from an access point, it will relay to the closer one)

Here is a visual example of Infrastructure mode:
ieee80211_03.jpg

Back