Wireless really slow

Spiff1333

Gawd
Just got my laptop but I'm having major problems with the wireless speed. It says connection is excellent and at 11Mbps but I can't download faster that 30kb/sec.

Intel 2200BG
NetGear MR814 v2 router

I have the latest drivers and firmware for both. Help please, its driving me insane.

Is SSID broadcast on or off? Using WPA or WEP? What are speeds if your directly next to WAP? Do you have another wireless card to try? Try changing wireless channels. Attach laptop to ethernet to see if its wireless related or something else such as viruses or spyware flooding the connection.

I have the same problem with XP, just when using my laplink cable or USB ethernet adaptor. Just because Im connected at 4mbs per second on the laplink cable doesnt mean you have 4mbs of bandwidth. Just because one computer is connected at 10mbs with the 6mbs card doesnt mean I have that much bandwidth.

In your case, I would bet my money on interference. 802.11b is susceptible to interference because of other devices.

if u change the channels on your wap, will your wireless card identify them automatically?

Yes, client cards send out beacons in large volume when not associated to an AP, and do so as well when associated but only every so often.

stupid question-but how far are you away from the router? I have the same router (except v1) and I get around 300kbps from the opposite side of the house.

Back