Wireless problem due to distance....

OrionNT

[H]ard|Gawd
A friend has a shop that is located about 50 ft from his house. I have located the modem and Linksys 802.11b router as close as possible with it also being on the top floor near a window. There is a computer inside that works fine and there is a Dell in the shop outside. The Dell has an external USB Linksys 802.11b card. When I was there it connected and worked fine and had a "good" signal which was about half. Then a few days later it stopped connecting. When the PC restarts the Insight software crap doesnt connect anymore. I havent been out there lately, but think the problem is related to signal strength. What is an easy and inexpensive solution for this problem?

OrionNT said:
A friend has a shop that is located about 50 ft from his house. I have located the modem and Linksys 802.11b router as close as possible with it also being on the top floor near a window. There is a computer inside that works fine and there is a Dell in the shop outside. The Dell has an external USB Linksys 802.11b card. When I was there it connected and worked fine and had a "good" signal which was about half. Then a few days later it stopped connecting. When the PC restarts the Insight software crap doesnt connect anymore. I havent been out there lately, but think the problem is related to signal strength. What is an easy and inexpensive solution for this problem?

Option #1:
Replace the stock antenna on the router with a more powerful directional antenna and point it at the shop. This should cost about $25 and will more than triple the output of the router (2dbi vs 6dbi), basically guaranteed to work. I've got mine working at almost 500ft.

Option #2:
Build a parabolic reflector using this template and place it on the antenna of the router or behind the usb adapter (awkward with the linksys ones). This will give you a small gain (~1-2 dbi if you can get it to work) but it just might do the trick... plus its pretty much free ;)

Back