Wireless Port Forward Problem

discochan

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys thanks for the help.

I'm trying to forward some ports for bittorrent over my wireless.

I know I'm supposed to make a static IP

When I go into Network Connections, which internet protocol do I go into, the LAN one or the wireless one?

I know it seems like a dumb questions but I dont know much about this stuff. When I go into the wireless one and make a static ip, I lose internet connection.

Hey guys thanks for the help.

I'm trying to forward some ports for bittorrent over my wireless.

I know I'm supposed to make a static IP

When I go into Network Connections, which internet protocol do I go into, the LAN one or the wireless one?

I know it seems like a dumb questions but I dont know much about this stuff. When I go into the wireless one and make a static ip, I lose internet connection.

If you're behind a router, you can log into it's control panel (typically http://192.168.1.1 with the username: admin password is blank) and setup port forwarding to your real IP address (192.168.x.x). The only information you'll have to enter is the port range, TCP/UDP, and your ending IP address (.100 for example).

The reason you're losing connection is because you're not designated that IP address, assuming it's not a reserved address. If you're behind a router, you're always going to manipulate your real IP address, not the virtual - well, in most scenarios.

If you're behind a router, you can log into it's control panel (typically http://192.168.1.1 with the username: admin password is blank) and setup port forwarding to your real IP address (192.168.x.x). The only information you'll have to enter is the port range, TCP/UDP, and your ending IP address (.100 for example).

The reason you're losing connection is because you're not designated that IP address, assuming it's not a reserved address. If you're behind a router, you're always going to manipulate your real IP address, not the virtual - well, in most scenarios.

Thanks for the help. I forwarded ports to my ip but Utorrent still doesnt work. Is there some tutorial somewhere.

Thanks for the help. I forwarded ports to my ip but Utorrent still doesnt work. Is there some tutorial somewhere.

I'm no familiar with uTorrent so you might want to try here.

After glancing over the FAQ, one thing I would check is to make sure the port your forwarding is the one being used by uTorrent. You can check that by going to Options - Network and "Port used for incoming connections."

If you've ever used a sniffer program, or want to start learning, I'd say fire one up and load up uTorrent and see why uTorrent isn't connecting.

Back