Wireless PCI card

Intel_Hydralisk

Supreme [H]ardness
My friend needs a PCI card for wifi but I've never used one nor know much of anything about them. My only experience in this matter is with a usb wifi dongle and it ... really sucked. Anyone care to recommend a cheap PCI wifi card that doesn't completely suck?

What OS does he use?

I use both this card, which works well for gaming, and this card, which is fine for general use. And I disagree with the post above - linksys routers are ok, but their adapters are, or at least have been for me, somewhat problematic. Their drivers suck.
Also, this is a common question: you might try a forum search to find other people's input.

What OS does he use?

I use both this card, which works well for gaming, and this card, which is fine for general use. And I disagree with the post above - linksys routers are ok, but their adapters are, or at least have been for me, somewhat problematic. Their drivers suck.
Also, this is a common question: you might try a forum search to find other people's input.

I'd recommend against that Linksys Wireless-G PCI card if you're going to use it with a 64-bit operating system. You see, Linksys does not officially support any 64-bit versions of Windows at all with that card (after all, hardware-wise the WMP54G has not been updated since 2005 while the only available driver for Vista or Win7 works only on 32-bit versions of either OS); thus, you will have to do some detective work to find the maker and model number of the card's chipset and then download those drivers from the chipset maker's Web site (usually Ralink) and install them just to even work at all with Win64. And then, the Windows Update tried to get me to download an updated "Linksys" driver which turned out to be incompatible with Win64 (the driver installed, but the card would not even connect to the Internet at all after the "update" was performed).

Last edited:
I'd recommend against that Linksys Wireless-G PCI card if you're going to use it with a 64-bit operating system. You see, Linksys does not officially support any 64-bit versions of Windows at all with that card (after all, hardware-wise the WMP54G has not been updated since 2005 while the only available driver for Vista or Win7 works only on 32-bit versions of either OS); thus, you will have to do some detective work to find the maker and model number of the card's chipset and then download those drivers from the chipset maker's Web site (usually Ralink) and install them just to even work at all with Win64. And then, the Windows Update tried to get me to download an updated "Linksys" driver which turned out to be incompatible with Win64 (the driver installed, but the card would not even connect to the Internet at all after the "update" was performed).

hence my recommending the edimax or gigabyte cards and not the linksys one.

Back