wireless pc to tv video / post your experiences

INFINITE

Limp Gawd
I was flipping thru a Tiger Direct the other day that came to me at work and I noticed this device from Grandtec that allegedly streams video from your pc wirelessly to your tv.

I don't have much real world experience with wireless however a co-worker of mine tried streaming video from one pc to another (which was attached to his tv) and he claimed it was choppy. All while using Super G devices. However this product from Grandtec doesn't really say its G rated either. Or perhaps this Grandtec device has some sort of buffer? I don't really know.

I'm just surprised if this thing actually does what it claims all for $150.

So I was hoping some of you here would have some experience with this good or otherwise.

Here is the link for the product I saw.

http://www.grandtec.com/ultimatewireless.htm

Wow I'm shocked no one here has messed with these. Looks like I may have to take one for the team and buy it then report back.

Wireless is hit or miss, either you get fine playback or it's choppy and un-usable.

Personally I would only try going wireless with a Super G type wireless setups to improve my chances, I notice this thing doesn't have that so I wouldn't even bother with it.

CrimandEvil said:
Wireless is hit or miss, either you get fine playback or it's choppy and un-usable.

Personally I would only try going wireless with a Super G type wireless setups to improve my chances, I notice this thing doesn't have that so I wouldn't even bother with it.
Actually, MIMO wireless is the way to go.

For those of you who were like me and never heard of MIMO before.

In radio communications, MIMO means multiple-input multiple-output, a technique of data transmission using multiple analog signal paths. MIMO exploits phenomena such as multipath propagation to increase throughput, rather than attempting to eliminate them.

theacoustician, do you believe this device to use that type of transmission? Which is why it may outperform conventional (G rated) wireless equipment in this scenario?

This makes a lot of sense now. Perhaps I'll try asking some of the resellers if they've had any experience with it or problems (e.g. numerous returns). I really like the concept. Just a bit sceptical.

When I built my home I wired it myself so it's chocked full of RG6 and CAT5e. I was debating this wireless system vs. s-video / composite audio over ethernet.

Thanks for the input everyone.

theacoustician said:
Actually, MIMO wireless is the way to go.
So they've standardized the spec and have started selling finalized MIMO hardware or is it all just "Pre-MIMO" and not garuntteed to work with standardize MIMO devices? :rolleyes:

Yeah see, that last part is the problem with suggesting MIMO..

It's still pre-n as the 802.11n spec isn't even finalized yet. mimo is expected to be part of the standard though, but whether the belkin router will be upgradable to true n is very debateable.

tbh it's kind of like getting super-g devices now - the only way it works at the fastest speed is if all the equipment is from the same manufacturer. I'm sure it won't take manfacturers long to release super-n products to lock you in to buying their AP + cards. If you want the fastest wireless speeds now, mimo is the only way to go.

Back