• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Wireless Online Gaming???

Wuuzy

n00b
Joined
Jul 19, 2005
Messages
32
Is playing wireless online any different from playing with your PC actually connected to your phone line?? Do u get more lag or disconnects???

Thanks in Advance
 
I play wireless on my laptop, theres .5 sec delay in SOF2 when shooting other people, other then that to my surprise it works very good
 
I never had great success getting my Linksys 54mb wireless connection to do gaming well. Newest firmware, ports set correctly... The latency is just plain too high for me. My signal strenght was excellent, the connection never dropped to below 20mbps and my latency was still crap. I gave up and ran a cable down my hallway. I hear Ebay calling me...
 
i am usually connected to a wireless router and i dont even bother playing online anymore when im on it. i only play when directly connected to the net through the DSL modem. i get nice low and stable pings on the DSL modem, but huge surges on the wireless router in all games. gameplay is effected greatly. for example, in BF2 i get constant pausing/warping on the wireless but when directly connected to the modem everything is fine. surprisingly, my download speed on the router is 310 kb/sec max while it's 170 kb/sec when connected to the DSL line upstairs (has something to do with shitty wiring on the second floor).
not only that but i get much fewer sources in p2p sharing programs even though all the proper ports are open when im on the wireless router.
 
not only that but i get much fewer sources in p2p sharing programs even though all the proper ports are open when im on the wireless router.

You need to configure your wireless router and open up the ports that are used by your p2p sharing programs to fix that problem. This type of problem is well documented, so it shouldn't be hard to track down the information.
 
actually, i want to test this out again just to be sure. i tried opening ports in the past for certain p2p programs and still got crappy download speeds and connections.
does anyone know what ports KaZaa requires to be open?
 
I have two wireless routers and can play online just fine. With the Linksys 54g router I just have to be within a good range so as not to get high latency. If I am directly downstairs from it, it works fine. If I move downstairs but a room over it does'nt.

I got the new Belkin Pre-N router and it covers my house completely. And I get very low latencies in every room. Gaming works great.
 
erorr404 said:
i am usually connected to a wireless router and i dont even bother playing online anymore when im on it. i only play when directly connected to the net through the DSL modem. i get nice low and stable pings on the DSL modem, but huge surges on the wireless router in all games. gameplay is effected greatly. for example, in BF2 i get constant pausing/warping on the wireless but when directly connected to the modem everything is fine. surprisingly, my download speed on the router is 310 kb/sec max while it's 170 kb/sec when connected to the DSL line upstairs (has something to do with shitty wiring on the second floor).
not only that but i get much fewer sources in p2p sharing programs even though all the proper ports are open when im on the wireless router.

That's because you are too far away from the router.
 
im almost directly above it actually, and i get 4/5 and 5/5 bars. how far is too far?
also, i forgot to mention that in BF1942 i get "connection problem" messages every 30-60 seconds.
 
Yeah, it's definitely different playing over wireless than wired, but if you've got a good, strong signal, the only real issue you'll have is that you'll drop more packets over wireless.

It's definitely playable, though, and I'd recommend it if you're in an apartment or somewhere where you can't run cables everywhere.
 
I have no issues playing over wireless via my Netgear router. I play on the back porch while sipping martinis :cool:
 
Back
Top