Wireless on the 360 help

Mac[X-D]

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok i recently upgraded a new wireless router a WRT 160N so far for my PC's and PS3 are working great, now i want to get my 360 on the wireless side do i need to buy the grossly over priced MS wireless adapter or can i buy a wireless USB N adapter?

will it work or does MS have me by the balls here?

Thnx

Mac[X-D];1032999525 said:
Ok i recently upgraded a new wireless router a WRT 160N so far for my PC's and PS3 are working great, now i want to get my 360 on the wireless side do i need to buy the grossly over priced MS wireless adapter or can i buy a wireless USB N adapter?

will it work or does MS have me by the balls here?

Thnx

I believe that you will need to buy either the MS adapter or any wireless switch that can act as a client. A USB adapter will not work, I think.

For what its worth, I have the MS adapter. It works flawlessly and has a very small profile. Very overpriced, although I paid less than the MSRP.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I've heard the Linksys WRT54GL is a good option to use as a wireless bridge.

thnx for the info guys, i think i will just bite the bullet and buy the MS adapter i will just look around for a deal, i heard gamestop sometimes has used ones for sale.

i do have to add i am so happy i finally went wireless getting rid of these cable is so nice.

Mac[X-D];1032999659 said:
thnx for the info guys, i think i will just bite the bullet and buy the MS adapter i will just look around for a deal, i heard gamestop sometimes has used ones for sale.

i do have to add i am so happy i finally went wireless getting rid of these cable is so nice.

I fail to see the benefit of buying the MS adapter...

And yeah going wireless is great, that was one of the big things that finally pushed me to get a PS3 when I was looking for a new console last year :D Now I have the Wii/360/PS3 trio, however my 360 is cabled simply because I ran the wiring when doing a home theater install and its 100% hidden through the wall.

I fail to see the benefit of buying the MS adapter...

And yeah going wireless is great, that was one of the big things that finally pushed me to get a PS3 when I was looking for a new console last year :D Now I have the Wii/360/PS3 trio, however my 360 is cabled simply because I ran the wiring when doing a home theater install and its 100% hidden through the wall.

well the benefit is i get a wireless connection to my 360 if i have to spend money one way or another i might as well just buy the MS adapter for the cheapest i can find., well i live in a apartment so i want to rid myself of wires.

Yeah, when I set-up my 360 a year ago and more recently with a few friends, it always seems like the way to go is to do everything with the router properly, then switch everything on the 360 to automatic.
The manual settings always seem touchy, but the automatic has gotten me "open" more often than not.

I've spent a bunch of money on wireless accessories, my laptop, PC, router, etc... everything is wireless. I have NEVER spent $100 on a wireless adapter.

So what I did, was I set up my wireless router/cable modem to be right by where my 360 lives. Ethernet to that, and then wireless to everything else. I don't care if you can get it used, $100 MSRP to make something that NEVER MOVES wireless is beyond exorbitant.

i do agree with you it doesn't make a lot of sense, and i thought about it some more today, so i think i may just buy a shelving unit of some kind and move my PS3, 360, cable modem and router to that and do as you say, clear my TV stand of stuff and have the 360 wired and the rest wireless.

thnx again.

I've spent a bunch of money on wireless accessories, my laptop, PC, router, etc... everything is wireless. I have NEVER spent $100 on a wireless adapter.

So what I did, was I set up my wireless router/cable modem to be right by where my 360 lives. Ethernet to that, and then wireless to everything else. I don't care if you can get it used, $100 MSRP to make something that NEVER MOVES wireless is beyond exorbitant.

I bought one of these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002Z45DQ

It's half the price of the MS adapter and can run off of the same rear USB port on the 360.

Works fine with my WRT54GL and GTA4 on XBL is practically the same as with a wired connection.

EDIT: I should add that with the above adapter you don't have to change any of the 360's network settings since the D-link adapter connects via an ethernet cable.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
So what I did, was I set up my wireless router/cable modem to be right by where my 360 lives. Ethernet to that, and then wireless to everything else.
It's actually a good idea... especially given so much that lives in AV units uses internet access these days. My TV, four of my consoles and my HTPC all support wired connections so it seemed sensible to put my router nearby.

D-Link Pocket Router is the best option new. If you can find a WRT54G used that supports DD-WRT that'll be a bit cheaper, and offer more options for about the same price.

DO NOT SPEND $100 on that fucking garbage Microsoft gumstick P.O.S.

Mac[X-D];1033000571 said:
well the benefit is i get a wireless connection to my 360 if i have to spend money one way or another i might as well just buy the MS adapter for the cheapest i can find., well i live in a apartment so i want to rid myself of wires.

You can not find those much cheaper than $99. My point was more "why by THAT MS wireless adapter instead of getting a full blown router or more flexible option for half the cost."

You can not find those much cheaper than $99. My point was more "why by THAT MS wireless adapter instead of getting a full blown router or more flexible option for half the cost."

Agreed. I won the wireless adapter in a contest a couple of years ago, and I loved how compact and easy to use it was. I would have recommended it, until.....

Recently the wireless connection started crapping out as soon as the 360 started warming up (before you ask, it's very well ventilated). Couldn't figure out why, but thought it might have something to do with the WGA. Luckily I have a Linksys gaming adapter/bridge (puchased new for $45 BTW) that I was using for a different purpose so I put my theory to the test. I connect a cat5 from the 360 to that and my wireless is always rock solid.

Moral of the story: the wireless device that I can ONLY use for the 360 appears to no longer function correctly. The wireless device that is flexible enough to be used for many different application has stepped in and picked up the slack.

I'm glad I didn't have to buy the 360 adapter or I would feel like a sucker that got taken for a $100 ride.

The MS adapter supports 5ghz / 802.11a. For those of us using that band, there's some appeal to the MS adapter, as there are not nearly as many cheap wireless bridges with that capability.

Personally? I wire everything with ethernet. It may not be sexy, and the cable management might suck, but it's fast and reliable.

i think i am going to go the AV stand way put everything in one place and just have my 360 wired.

I have something similar as to what was already pointed out. Had a few WRT54G(s) that I uploaded the DD-WRT firmware. What started out with just extending the network from my office to my wife's machine downstairs migrated to 3 other rooms. The WRT54G came in handy as for the entertainment center I have multiple ports for the HD-DVD player, HTPC, and Xbox 360.
I think I'm pretty good now. I probably have about 5 wireless routers extending the same network in the same house;) I would have gone physical cable but lacked a crawl space between floors.

I bought a Linksys WRT-54G and put an older version of DD-WRT on it. Took a while to get setup (since the newest version at the time was gimped in the client mode I needed :(). When I got it working I was very pleased. :) I used the same guide as was posted earlier in the thread.

Back