Wireless Networking woes

tangents

n00b
I recently bought the Linksys WRTG56G router and I have one desktop connected via wire and a laptop using the wireless networking card to connect. This is what happened: I was able to get both computer on the internet however they weren't able to share files/printers so I created a home network on my desktop with the wizard and tried to do the same with the laptop only that I clicked on the "create wireless home network".

As soon as I finish the wizard on my laptop my internet connection goes away as the messaage says that the router is not assigning me an valid IP address. I tried to repair the connection but with no luck and this only happened while I was trying to get file sharing turned on. Any ideas what I did wrong and how to actually get files/printer to share?

I'm not sure what you pooched, but if the internet was working, then the networking was set up properly. File and printer sharing is more about permissions once your at this stage. Did you create a share? Did you try to share a printer? What made you think file sharing wasn't working? What are the IP adresses of the network cards of both computers?

Without this info I can only gues that you need to make sure that any firewall is allowing file/printer sharing. You need to verify that both network cards are set to "obtain IP automatically" and verify that the router has DHCP enabled. Once the internet is working dont mess with network wizards or the network settings. File sharing doesnt happen by default. You have to create a resource to share and then set the permissions on it.

Troubleshoot sharing maybe this link will help

Back