Wireless network switch?

Topkat

n00b
I have a wireless network with 3 laptops and one printer connected to a 4 port wireless rooter. All 3 laptops are connecting without wires. I would like to extend the wireless network so two more wireless laptops can connect to the network without wires. Should I buy a new rooter with more ports? I have only seen 4 port rooters for sale.

Would a standard switch work or is there such thing as a wireless network switch? :confused:

A wireless router will support upto i think 128 wireless clients (laptops) connected at once over wifi.

jtg1993 pretty much nailed it on the head. you do not need to purchase any extra equipment for what you are looking to do. depending on the router you might experience slow downs (with a lot of people simultaneously taxing the network) but thats about it.

Just keep adding wireless clients..there is no relationship between the amount of wireless clients...and the amount of wired LAN ports you see on the built in switch.

With common home grade routers....you'll start seeing slowdowns once you start getting your wireless client count up past a dozen or so...give or take a handful...all depending on the "horsepower" of your particular model.

Back