WIreless network on top of full wired network?

NYCXBOX

n00b
I found an old thread about WDS vs using multiple Access points with Same SSID. Basically I moved into a new home, It's has alot of area to cover, but the entire house is networked. WIRED NETWORK. The wife wants to be able to connect wirelessly with he laptop (and I wouldn't mind either) so I set up one WAP connected directly to my MODEM/GATEWAY but the signal is very weak throughout the house. SO I figured I would strategically place multiple AP or Routers or whatever - throughout the house so that way no matter where you are you have 5 bar wireless access. WDS seems interesting but I don't want the ONE wired AP and the standalone repeaters, I would live to have multiple access points all plugged into my internal network in each room. But since I understand this slightly can WDS be done with multiple access points that are all plugged in? Or is WDS one wired and each one after that standalone? What is my best solution?

Just create a mesh network. All access points have the same SSID and encryption settings and are plugged in via Ethernet. Your device will automatically grab the best AP when it connects in the house.

Just create a mesh network. All access points have the same SSID and encryption settings and are plugged in via Ethernet. Your device will automatically grab the best AP when it connects in the house.

Sounds like a plan.. Two questions? DO I use same Channel? I was planing on using DD-WRT and turning a bunch of old routers into ACCESS POINTS - I assume that will work fine with latest DD-WRT firmware?

use different channels to avoid frequency interference. you got the right idea with dd-wrt

use different channels to avoid frequency interference. you got the right idea with dd-wrt

Four Access Points. I assume Channel 1,3, 6, 11 and place the AP with channel 1 and access point with channel 3 furthest apart from each other?

Back