Wireless network booster

Kyohe

Weaksauce
I've been using a wireless network that's too far away for about six months now. I always get "1 mbps" connections and random disconnects. Well I'm pretty sick of it. The best idea I've come up with is to use a signal booster or "repeater" to get the signal to where I am. I don't have access the the router itself so I need something that can take the signal and boost it farther. Something like this I think, http://www.wirelessnetworkproducts....ireless network signal booster&OVMTC=standard
But 90$ is a bit expensive for me. Does anyone have any suggestions? Somewhere to get a cheaper one? Thanks.

If you want to try something really cheap, try doing the sheet metal trick. Shape it into a half parabula shape, like a soda can cut in half from top to bottom. Then stick your antenna in there and point it towards the wireless source. Should at least stablize your disconnection issues at least.

Heh, I don't have to be quite that cheap. Something around 40$ would be fine. Also, I can't mess with the set up itself. That's why I think a seperate unit would be best.

well I've had about this much || ( aka no ) luck with the linksys repeaters. I've tried to set a few of them up for clients and they end up having more problems. I'd suggest a better antenna or jack into someone elses wireless connection :p

Lowbatt said:
well I've had about this much || ( aka no ) luck with the linksys repeaters. I've tried to set a few of them up for clients and they end up having more problems. I'd suggest a better antenna or jack into someone elses wireless connection :p
What problems exactly? Any problems like "cannot associate with the wireless network" during setup?

Back