Wireless NAS and IP camera, is this possible?

arkk

Limp Gawd
Long story short, I am interested in pursuing a wireless backup type storage drive that I could keep in my home in a separate room not located by my computer. I am also interested in installing(I didn't even know this was possible until I researched it) a camera that will record and store the recordings on the wireless storage device, and not on my computer.

I don't even use a backup service now, but the reason I am interested in this is because of a robbery close to my house recently. The only real items of value are located in my office, and if my computer was stolen, I'm F'ed. So if I backed up to a device that would not be in an appealing place, and it was in fact stolen, I'd have my files and potential recordings of the thief.

I **KNOW** this sounds paranoid/slightly insane, esp since I have a big dog and my neighborhood is safe overall, but I don't even employ any type of automatic backup as it is, so I'd like to explore my options. Is my idea even doable?

I am mainly interested in a wireless backup type issue, the crazy camera idea is just a perk. Any ideas/thoughts/comments/recommendations would be greatly appreciated from you guys as usual.

I'm not quite sure if this is what you are looking for, but there did be some wireless camera with backup HDD on market. The data could be stored in the pre-installed hdd. But it cost a lot.

Wireless NAS would be soooo solw for a backup. if your looking cheap look at a dlink dns-232 (raid 1) run a cat 5e/6 cable to where you want your storage and use gigabit. even wireless n would be slow for a backup. you can use your ip cam to store on a dns-232

Why not invest in a home security monitoring system?

Back