• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Wireless N

jcll2002

2[H]4U
Joined
Jan 28, 2006
Messages
3,655
I bought a Linksys WRT300N router that has wireless N technology. Im still using my standard G netgear adapter on my desktop (usb). I want to upgrade my adapter because i frequently drop the connection (alot less than my old router though). The problem is that I cant find any USB wireless N desktop adapters, only PCI. I am using the rig in my sig and all my pci slots are filled with an xfi and a tv tuner. All I have left is a PCI-E slot 16x (another, DFI ultra d), PCI 1x, and a PCI 4x. The 1x and 4x are smaller than the regular pci slots. Will I be able to use this adapter in one of the remaining pci 1x, 4x, or pcie slots? If not, when will a USB wireless N adapter come out?

Thanks.
 
Most likely your router is not really an N router, but what is commonly referred to as "Pre-N"

This is the reason you aren't seeing any "802.11n" adapters out yet.
 
nonameo said:
Most likely your router is not really an N router, but what is commonly referred to as "Pre-N"

This is the reason you aren't seeing any "802.11n" adapters out yet.

It's a "draft-N" router....this is the second iteration of "N"...the prior one being "Pre-N"..which Linksys used in their "SRX" line of routers. Excellent products.

Starting a couple of months ago, the "draft-N" was approved..so most manufacturers moved from Pre-N...to Draft-N products, releasing them about a month or more ago. They've just been released..gotta give them time to roll out peripheral products like USB adapters.
 
USB network adapters usually end in disaster anyways...most of the time, they neglect to mention that it's a USB1.1 connection, so you're slower than even 10Base-T to start with.
 
I never had a problem with USB NICs. Have used them frequently. One day I compared the performance on downloading a large file through a 6 meg DSL connection. The thing went toe to toe with a 3Com 905 PCI NIC. That was just one of those little Netgear thumb drive sized ones.

They're actually decent for towers..since many have a cord/leash..so you can place them high up on your desk...move around and find that optimal signal spot.
 
Back
Top