wireless-N worth the upgrade?

aznmc16

Limp Gawd
I have a wireless G system at home and can only achieve a maximum of 2mb/sec transfer rate between my computers at home.

Although wireless-G claims it can hit up to 54mbps, thats simply bs.

I run a belkin F5D8230-4 v2 router with the 3 antennas. I have hardwired most of my house, but it would be nice to have a wireless system throughout the house, so i dont have cables ran all over the place.

I do a lot of network file transfers between my laptops and desktops, mainly for backup purposes. I also like to stream movies from my server to my laptops, and get lag where the movie would buffer up, which is not a problem when i am streaming over hardwire, which gets a consistent 11mb/sec.

Was just wondering if wireless N is really as fast as it claims.

First off, 54Mbps is the carrier rate for 802.11g. Once you factor in the overhead, the max realworld throughput you can hope for is around 25Mbps.

As far as for N, they are much faster, but realize the final standard isn't out yet, and won't be until mid 2008(that's what I read last time I checked). If you buy something now, it may not be fully compatable with the final standard, so buy at your own risk.

its nice...but i've read about compatibility issues if your router/adapter aren't all the same brand, so try and get all matching stuff if you want to use draft n.

however, its also worth noting that the nicer recent router models are mostly draft n now anyway, so some of these are good choices simply to replace an old beater if that's part of the issue, and you'd have the draft n stuff to boot.

replacing my old di-624 that died with a dir-655 was a really nice upgrade. so many more features, really slick interface for setting it all up (624 was awful in that department), and very nice speed boost, especially for bittorrent stuff.

dlink has matching "xtreme n" stuff in pci cards and pcmia cards for laptops, so if you get all matching stuff it should make a pretty substantial difference for the file transfers and stuff you're talking about. pretty sure other brands offer similar product lines for the draft n stuff as well. i can recommend the 655 firsthand, though.

I also recently bought the DIR-655, I also bought the matching PCMCIA adapter for the laptop. I'll have to say that the range and signal strength on the laptop are much better and the speed is incredible. It's running in full native N mode and I cannot tell that it's on a wireless connection anymore.

I also recently bought the DIR-655, I also bought the matching PCMCIA adapter for the laptop. I'll have to say that the range and signal strength on the laptop are much better and the speed is incredible. It's running in full native N mode and I cannot tell that it's on a wireless connection anymore.

looks like you got a pretty good wireless setup there.

whats your max attainable network transfer rate???

I'm running the DIR-655 and a PCI wireless card in my desktop gaming rig. I can play any online game an no one would know that I 'm wireless...

I'm quite happy with the purchase...

looks like you got a pretty good wireless setup there.

whats your max attainable network transfer rate???

I've not really tried to benchmark it. I have done some big file transfers between 2 machines though. From the laptop I copied about 6 gigs of stuff from the desktop and it easily took under 2 minutes.

Back