wireless N dies every night but G is solid

The N band of my Cisco E2000 router keeps dying overnight, only at night, every night. When it dies it really dies, resetting does nothing, I have to set it to G and then back to N via LAN (Im using DDWRT). When I put it back in N it performs well like normal all day.

If I set it to G its stable and never dies.

Is this a sign that my router is dying? Or could it be affected by the cold? It only started dying recently now that its getting really cold and its in a room that gets very cold at night (probably like 45 degrees).

What dies, the router or only wireless?

If router dies, don't rule out electrical or EMI. Example, have seen DSL drop/reconnect at exactly the same time every evening and it turned out to be EMI from street light ballast that was going bad where the light would go on and off. Try to borrow an inline UPS.

If WIFI dies, borrow a Cisco Spectrum Expert spectrum analyzer or equivalent to see any potential interfering device(s).

Have you tried different firmware? Haven't used DD-WRT lately but when I evaluated in the past DD-WRT was flaky compared to OpenWRT and Tomato.

Routers and just about any PC hardware loves the cold, wireless signals on the other hand do not. I can't say that the cold is causing this issue specifically, although my first steps would be to disable mixed mode wireless (set to just 802.11n) and fully test that and see if it continues. Try flashing the firmware to the latest factory approved version and see if that solves it. After that I might try a third-party firmware like OpenWRT or Tomato.

Linksys is just a brand you can't really trust anymore, both with regards to firmware and hardware builds. The consistency is gone since Cisco bought them out (they weren't that great before hand either TBH). I highly doubt that the hardware is dying, more like defective if anything.

The E2000 is an old router that came before the Cisco redesign, its firmware support ended a few years ago so I dont have a lot of options. I'll try another firmware or reflash but its been running on that firmware for over a year without a single crash.

It has no mixed mode, N only works by itself. I havent fully tested if 5ghz crashes it or if 2.4ghz does, its faster than 10/100 while running at 5ghz but slow as hell at 2.4 so I never run it at that.

I also have a E2000 with spotty WiFi. I've experienced it though several builds of TomatoUSB (shibby) and with G and N (both 2.5 and 5GHz). I'm probably going to just get an access point to add to my network since I'm pretty happy with the router otherwise. I think they eventually just crap out.

Back