Wireless mouse and keyboard rant.

Okay, this is ridiculous. I'm on my... 4th... set of wireless mice and keyboards. I've gone through 2 rf's, and 1 bluetooth, and now I have the Logitech M570 trackball with a Logitech Pro 2000 keyboard.

I got that combo specifically because the Pro 2000 supposedly has fantastic reception.

Naturally, I can't seem to use the pair when I'm more than 3 feet from my computer. Literally. This is supposed to be an HTPC setup, and I have to pull my computer out next to the couch. I'm 7-8 feet from the TV by the way.

This is what I don't get - how is this reception so terrible (interference???), when my 360 controller will work with my 360 when I stand outside the room?

Am I missing something? I've installed drivers, uninstalled drivers, reinstalled the system....

I use this Logitech wave for my htpc and am surprised at the distance that it works quite well. I regularly use it about 10 feet from the receiver and have never had an issue. I could see if the rf has interference with another device in your house but if you have had the same luck with bt, then maybe its the gremlins? ;)

Bluetooth had better range but no matter how close or far I was, the mouse and keyboard had a delay that was terrible in gaming. Tried the setup on two separate computers.

How about fishing a USB extension cable to your couch and mounting the BT reciever there?

I hadd to go this route for my HTPC, it saved a LOT of headache.

I've done that before. I'll consider - but wait, I still don't get one thing - how does the 360 controller work so well no matter what?

had a Logitech MX-Revolution that worked in a different room...same with my Blue Tooth Logitech MX 5000 set i used to use(still do for my tablet), its all about the amount of traffic on the frequency i think...

The Xbox controller may not be on 2.4 ghz frequency (i believe most mice/BT are on/around there), so the frequency does not have a bunch of traffic..

though i may be wrong, this is just my very limited view/experience with wireless equipment

Have you tried connecting an external USB bracket to the Front USB of your motherboard and then connecting the mouse USB receiver to it? It should stabilize the signal.

I've used extension cables before with no luck.

Fantastic though - I just realized another thing. I currently have the keyboard sitting on my lap (my feet are up on the table infront of me). If I have my legs side by side, so more of the bottom of the keyboard touches my legs, the keyboard loses signal. If I put one foot over another (so the amount of leg underneath the keyboard is slightly less), the keyboard works fine.

...I just don't get it. How could reception be this bad? It's not like my legs have damn lead in them or anything.

Back