Wireless LAN Drops When Trying To Access Shared Files

Scroatdog

[H]ard|Gawd
Hello all. Well, I'm pulling my hair out again trying to figure out what could be wrong.

Equipment: Linksys WRT-54G wireless router
Linksys WMP-54G wireless PCI card

DHCP server enabled, WPA TKIP encryption, wireless MAC filter, SSID broadcast enabled, operating on Channel 7.

Computer A hardwired to router. Computer B using wireless PCI card. Ok. First off, on computer B, I always see the balloon pop-up saying "Wireless Connection Enabled - Stength - Excellent" or something to that effect. I will have to close that balloon out frequently, as it pops up often. Periodically, my fiancee will tell me that she will go to get on the internet and get a pop-up saying "No connection to the internet is currently avaible, choose Work Offline or Try Again" She selects "Try Again" and gets the connection back... so it seems like the connection is dropping out anf coming back.

Windows handles the network stuff on the wireless computer, has the box that says "View wireless networks". Anyhow, if I DISABLE the SSID broadcasting on the router, the wireless computer WILL NOT connect. Can't figure that one out, so I just leave SSID enabled.

Ok. I had a problem a while back sharing a printer from computer A to computer B. Turns out, I had to go into services on computer A and put "server" on automatic. Printer shares just fine now.

Here's the latest problem................ Computer A has the "Shared Documents" folder of course.... so I moved two Windows Media clips in there from a Sage TV recording, so that my fiancee would be able to watch them in the bedroom. Simple enough, right???

Well, every time I try to access those files, they play for about 5 seconds (with no sound) then the wireless connection DROPS OUT. In order to get it back, I close down Windows Media Player, right-click the lan connection tray icon, choose "view available wireless networks", then hit "refresh list" and it will re-connect to the network. I tried disabling NIS from both computers. Didn't work. Windows firewall is already disabled on both computers. NIS shouldn't be a factor anyway, since I have permissions in there for each computer's IP address.

Can anyone help?????? Oh. I THINK I'm running the latest firmware from Linksys. I haven't tried any of the other firmwares out there.

Thanks in advance

Im having the exact same problem over 802.11b, though, with d-link and realtek hardware. Extremely annoying. RDC doesn't work either.

hey i had something like that happen to be and i tried this and it worked

Click Start > Control Panel (classic view) > Windows Firewall
Click the Exceptions tab
Check the box next to "File and Printer Sharing"
Click the Edit button and then the Change Scope button
Verify "My network (subnet) only" is selected, click OK, OK, and OK

kilobyte said:
hey i had something like that happen to be and i tried this and it worked

Click Start > Control Panel (classic view) > Windows Firewall
Click the Exceptions tab
Check the box next to "File and Printer Sharing"
Click the Edit button and then the Change Scope button
Verify "My network (subnet) only" is selected, click OK, OK, and OK

Don't think that's it. Windows firewall is off on both computers... but I did check and that stuff was already selected.

I tried sending a file from computer A to computer B(Wireless) and it ALMOST finished.... the file was 1.5 gigs in size...... but then the wireless connection on B cut out again.

Maybe the router can't handle file size transfers that big???? I don't know. I was moving a WMP file from the shared files folder of Compuer A to the shared files folder of computer B.

This is so annoying....... Huh, maybe I SHOULDN'T get my Master's in IT... hahaha

Back