Wireless keyboard and mouse with decent range?

mwin

2[H]4U
I recently bought a Logitech S520 keyboard and mouse combo for my htpc rig. The keyboard works wonderfully, but the range on the mouse is pathetic. It seems to only work from about five feet, or less. My coffee table is only about ten feet from my entertainment center, so I really didn't expect to have range issues with any of the wireless stuff. Can somebody recommend a keyboard/mouse combo that will work for me?

I looked at over two dozen keyboard and mouse combo units, even sent 3 back that didn't work for me. Got this one PlayStation 3 Logitech Cordless Mediaboard Pro. There is no windows key, but that' not s a big deal for me.

It is blue tooth, works with a pc, tested it from 20 feet away and was fine.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Logitech claims their bluetooth keyboards/mice are good for up to 30 ft. I've been using one from about 15 feet with no issues.

Bluetooth range largely depends on whether you're using a Class 1 or Class 2 transmitter. The range is 10 m (~30 ft) or 100 m depending on which is being used. Most Bluetooth devices should therefore have a range of around 30 ft.

RF peripherals tend to be around 6 ft, but this is mainly because they assume the receiver can be placed relatively nearby.

I looked at over two dozen keyboard and mouse combo units, even sent 3 back that didn't work for me. Got this one PlayStation 3 Logitech Cordless Mediaboard Pro. There is no windows key, but that' not s a big deal for me.

It is blue tooth, works with a pc, tested it from 20 feet away and was fine.

exactly same thing that I'm using for htpc as well. works well and my tv is about 15 feet away. make sure you get a bluetooth dongle if you end up using the meidaboard - mine didn't come with one but I had one laying around..

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
ive found with RF that if the receiver is lower than the mouse it tends to work better.

i have a logitech dinovo mouse/keyboard bluetooth set and it works great. i can even take the keypad to the other side of my house and change my music around with it.

I use the PS3 Logitech Cordless Mediaboard (not the Pro bluetooth version). Just a regular wireless with a USB dongle. My couch is about 12 feet away from the PC, works great, no delays with either the keys nor the touchpad. Cost less than the Pro version.

I'm getting a PS3 Mediaboard Pro as well and I've got a PS3 also, so two birds one stone!

I would definitely mess with the placement of your receiver. Especially if its in the middle of your home theater stuff, its probably just being blocked and/or interfered with. I have a logitech 510 combo in my bedroom and it was terrible when it was down low, near the floor, but now that its on a raised shelf its perfect from 20 feet.

I use the Vidabox keyboard/mouse combo. It uses RF, and I can maintain signal from the other end of my basement, even through the drywall walls (an easy 30 or 40 feet). They have a pre-order special on their new laser trackball version right now. It ships next month I think. I like my old one so much that I purchased that new one that's coming out to use with my HTPC and retire the old one for other uses in a different room.

I have the logitech dinovo edge and love it. It works through walls! My older logitech keyboard only had like 5ft or less range and you had to be pointing at it. I do still use a additional mouse when at the desk, but the edge's mouse works decent if in a pinch.

I'm currently on a MX5000 combi and face the same problem as OP - the keyboard works fine, but the mouse performance is just horrible. Should I try and RMA first or just screw it and find something else?

Thanks for the link for the playstation logitech keyboard, I bookmarked it for later when I have a few extra bucks for my media box.
signature_distory.jpg

I took my old keyboard back (best thing about buying from a brick and mortar). I ordered a Microsoft Bluetooth combo. Should be here on Monday. I'll let everybody know how it goes.

My fiance is wanting to drag her PC into the living room to act as our HTPC since my current HTPC isn't quite working how I had hoped. She also wants to game on it once in awhile so she wants a "gaming" mouse to use with it. Problem is distance.

I don't want to have to run a super long USB cable because I've heard they suffer the longer they get, and I don't want to setup an RF mouse because it'll probably have spotty transmission at that range, and she won't like playing games with it. Argh. I was hoping there would be a nice Bluetooth Keyboard and Mouse around that are good for gaming, but I can't quite find what I am looking for.

I just picked up the new HP Wireless Elite Desktop Keyboard and Mouse from Fry's this past week for $46.
I love how thin and sexy the keyboard looks!

3309960031efe35a5ae2.jpg

Photo from NotebookReview.com
331078876271ec6f92d2.jpg

Photo from NotebookReview.com
33107900803e6a305d0d.jpg

It uses a 2.4GHz USB transmitter which works well for me at ~15 feet (~4.5m). My only complaint is that the USB receiver lights up when it detects movement from the mouse or input from the keyboard.

+1 for Logitech DiNovo (not Edge version) it works very far and good.. have this since 04 still works like new..

Back