Wireless - Keep loosing connection

mokkapoop

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok, I am using a 2wire DSL modem, that is wireless, and a dang good one for that matter. It supposed puts out 10x more power for the antenna than a regular wireless router does. Anywhoo, I just purchased a GQ desktop from outpost.com for $149, a very nice setup for the money. I also went to wal-mart, bought a Belkin WirelessG 54mbps card, set it up, but here is the problem.

The DSL modem is in the next room, basically one wall away( thats all thats blocking). I have this new computer on the other side of the room of the room next to the DSL modem, so call it 20ft MAX with one wall of interference. The antenna on the computer is on tha backside, so the signal also travels through the computer too, not sure if the aluminum is that much interferring. Now, I still get a great signal, 80-92% to be exact. However, here in lies my problem. When I leave the computer on, which is what it is intended to be used for is a server for FTP, havent done it yet, it looses connection, and upon coming back to the computer, it shows that its not connected to the wireless network, wont show when I refresh to find a signal, so I have to restart. What the heck is causing this? I have tried different channels on the DSL modem itself.

Here is another thing, my main rig, the one I am on is sitting 3 feet from the one computer that keeps loosing connection, but I have an extended Directional antenna hooked up to it, pointing directly towards the direction of the DSL modem, getting near 100% connection. This computer NEVER looses connection, so what gives, do I have something setup wrong on the one that keeps loosing connection?

Please help if you can, inquiring anything that might be the problem here.

disable wireless zero configuration and use the utility that came with the wireless card to configure your connection. do not use windows to do it.

also check for a WinSock error. google WinSockXP and run that utility. if it doesnt fix it, theres still a lot more things that could be going wrong, but just start eliminating them onebyone.

doubt its the card, i knew for sure that the windows network connection wizard was garbage after it could never hold a connecting. But the software that came with my Linksys card was way better.

download netstubler, it graphs out your signal strenth. My wireless card said I had 79% strength over my 1/3 mile link, but the actual db-scale was very low. Some slight movements on my antenna made the signal jump up to -55dB from -77dB and signal strength went up to 80-something.

My ralink card didnt report the decibel-strength very good in the program. I unhooked the cards antenna, and it stayed the same...

It could also be a pwer issue. If I read your post right you bought a super cheap PC. I would guess that if the PC was so cheap that it has a super crappy power supply in it. I have run into issues where wireless acts funny because of a lack of power. You may consider getting a powered USB hub to give the device an extra boost of juice.

Back