Wireless Issues - Need Input

guito13

Supreme [H]ardness
Hey Guys/Gals,

I suck @ life and need your input. I havent really done much in terms of networking in ages and was recently asked to hook up a wireless linksys router for my aunt. She has a old compaq and an older dell laptop. The dell laptop has a linksys wireless card in one of the expansion slots (brand new). The wired connection between the desktop and the router works fine. The router is using an encryption scheme (WP2 or something).

So, the issue im having (other then the slow @ss computers) is that the wireless connection between the laptop is not working. Through the Linksys software its telling me that there is a connection between the laptop and the router but it "cant find the internet". I took my laptop over and connected and everything works fine on it.

Now, whats really weird is that when i connect to the router from the old laptop, not only does it "not find the internet" but the router apparently takes a crap as i cannot get anywhere on the wired desktop or my laptop. I am going to put spybot/adaware on a cd and try that out today to see if theres something crazy on the laptop.

I was wondering if there is anything else i should check as well (The laptop is running windows profesisonal 2000) in the network settings or anywhere else.

I am at work so if you need more information ill get it tonight and post it when i can.

Thanks in advance.

Back