wireless interference between devices?

kezs

Weaksauce
hello everyone.

I've got this network bug in my house that's beginning to annoy me. my wireless network works great, with excellent reception all around. but when I turn one certain laptop (running winxp 32), one specific desktop gets disconnected after a while (running win7 32). I bought a new router (linksys wrt120n, had a d-link 524 b2) and the problem persists. only solution that works is turning off the laptop and then reattaching the usb wireless adapter from the desktop (d-link airplus g dwl-g122 rev C). no other device in the house affects or is affected.

the interference doesn't occur all the time, but it does happen every time after a few minutes with both of them on.

there's a bunch of options in the wireless usb adapter properties (smartscan, radio on/off, country region, etc), but I can't find what they're for. I changed country region 11g from #0 (1-11) to #6 (3-9) hoping for luck, but nope.

any ideas?

thanks.

sounds stupid but leave the homegroup on the windows 7 machine

I had to leave homegroup on all of my windows 7 machines to fix the problem.

If you have the same problem as I had, it basically connected wireless to the network, but said "no internet access" and I couldn't open pages on the windows 7 machine.

thanks, I'll try that.

I don't see much of a point since the win7 works perfectly fine the whole time the winXP laptop isn't on. but then again... I don't see much of a point in so many aspects of windows :)

nope, didn't work. I left the home group, but the same thing happens when I turn the laptop running winXP. any other ideas?

Back