Wireless Help (Not your typical Linksys thread)

KarFai

Limp Gawd
My fraternity needs to upgrade it's wireless network. Unfortunately we cannot run cable due to disagreements with our management company that manages are house (Don't ask...)

Anyway, we currently have 2 el cheap linksys system 11b routers, and we are expecting 40 clients on this network, we had 18 last year, and it had problems then.

I'm thinking of buying 2 Cisco Aironet 1100 AP's and deploying them to replace our 2 consumer grade piles of crap.

What I need to know is this. I'm semi familar with cisco IOS, but I want to do MAC address filtering and WPA, I presume this points can do that. Also I want to get a pretty good router, preferablly Cisco since once we remove our old AP/Routers, we'll need one. Can anyone recommend one. I'm working on my CCNA right now, so I don't mind having to configure IOS and stuff, I just need to get the order out for the equipment soon.

Any other suggestions to help upgrade this network is extremely helpful.

Thanks

The routers seem fine. However, will all of your clients have 11g cards with support for WPA_PSK?

The Aironet 1000 series support WPA, WPA2, 802.11 a/b/g, MAC filtering, etc., basically everything you need and then some. As far as a router goes what about using a PIX 501 instead? If you have DSL, Cable, T1 or similar where the ISP provides the modem and/or router then a firewall would be a much better solution.

Back