Wireless-G Speed/Connectivity Sucks

psx-dude

Limp Gawd
I just installed some Belkin G Equipment in a friend's house, but for some reason, the signal is very low and it seems to drop quite a bit of packets. The location isn't all too optimal, its between two walls that have stone attached to them, I believe the walls are drywall, but the stone is attached to the outside, it is almost line of sight though. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to increase the range? I could probably get a USB extension cord to move it around a bit, hopefully that'll work. Anyone else have any suggestions without spending any more money?

psx-dude said:
I just installed some Belkin G Equipment in a friend's house, but for some reason, the signal is very low and it seems to drop quite a bit of packets. The location isn't all too optimal, its between two walls that have stone attached to them, I believe the walls are drywall, but the stone is attached to the outside, it is almost line of sight though. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to increase the range? I could probably get a USB extension cord to move it around a bit, hopefully that'll work. Anyone else have any suggestions without spending any more money?

Belkins are POS, you can't polish a turd. Take it back and get a Linksys WRT54g and I guarentee you'll have plenty of wireless strength

Make sure your antenna is pointed at right angles, otherwise the distance that is passed through walls is extended (think about Pythagorean theorem and the length of the hypotenuse in comparison to the other sides of the right triangle).

psx-dude said:
I just installed some Belkin G Equipment in a friend's house, but for some reason, the signal is very low and it seems to drop quite a bit of packets. The location isn't all too optimal, its between two walls that have stone attached to them, I believe the walls are drywall, but the stone is attached to the outside, it is almost line of sight though.

Almost line of sight except for those walls. :rolleyes:

Walls will kill a 2.4GHz signal fast. I'd try to find a way to avoid as much wall as possible. I actually mounted my external antenna for my WRT54G outside, which gives it a good signal throughout my apartment and in my truck. Since it sounds like you are using USB equipment, I'd take it back if you still can and get some real PCMCIA/PCI cards, as they usually have better output.

Back