Wireless G question

sitheris

[H]ard|Gawd
I've noticed since buying G gear that my transfer rate normally starts out at 54mbps when initially connected, then fluctuates sometimes down to 9mbps and back up again. What could be causing this?

At one time there's a max of about 6 computers connected wirelessly to the router. My signal strength is about 85-95% according to my Hawking config tool.

Any ideas what's causing this?

802.11g runs in the same frequency spectrum as a lot of other household items. Perhaps your neighbor decided to make a call on his cordless phone, or the wife was in the kitchen making microwave popcorn. Or perhaps you've got another neighbor who's running his 802.11b or g access point on the same channel, and when his clients transmit/receive they squelch your signal a bit. Who really knows for sure. The point I'm trying to make is that there are so many environmental variables that can affect a wireless signal that there is almost no point in trying to mitigate them. About the best you can do is keep the AP and your wireless clientst away from sources of EMI (like the microwave).

Also go download netstumbler, put it on a laptop, and walk all over the house and around the house to see who else is around.

Make note of their channels and be sure not to use any of those channels.

Channels 1, 6, and 12 are the preferred channels for some reason.

Otherwise just experiment until you get the best signal possible.

Asgorath said:
Also go download netstumbler, put it on a laptop, and walk all over the house and around the house to see who else is around.

Make note of their channels and be sure not to use any of those channels.

Channels 1, 6, and 12 are the preferred channels for some reason.

Otherwise just experiment until you get the best signal possible.

Good idea. As for the channels, when you have overlapping access points you're supposed to have them 5 channels apart. This is why 1, 6, and 11 are so popular.

I run mine on 11 because the other 5 or 6 wireless networks in my neighborhood are all on channel 6

Back