wireless for distances over 1 mile?

par0thead151

[H]ard|Gawd
IS it possible to transmit a wireless signal over the distance of one mile? I am wondering if i would be able to access my fathers wireless network while at my house via wireless(no internet at my house just yet)
Im sure that the hardware required to do such a thing must cost a pretty penny, and will most likeley rule this option out, but i am just curious.
thanks

Yes you can do it. The biggest thing you must have is a clear line of sight. If there are buildings and such in the way your screwed.

Yeah, Cisco Aeronet stuff can do ~15km in a clear LOS, or so I hear.

Im sure you can find plenty of other wireless networks in your area. I can detect about 5 in my house, but only ~2 of those are insecure.

i have 3 of my neighbors networks in range, however they are smarter than the average turd and have them secured

like others have said, line of sight means everything. i mess around building antenas somtimes, if done correctly you cqan get ~10 miles with line of sight with some cantennas you can build for less than 10 bucks

10 miles on a cantenna... that's pretty wild. You could go 50 miles but that's big money. I used to work with Trango radios for a wireless ISP but you basically building a wireless WAN link. It won't be cheap.

Look around and get some WEP cracking tools and hack your neighbors network. If he's using WPA, move along.

Buffalo WHR G54S or WRT54GL with DD-WRT and a couple of directional antennas.

I've access 5 miles away with a 10.5dBi antenna on the tower and a 24dBi grid on a pole.

Depends on line of site, fresnel zone, etc.

Can be done for under $300.

Any access point with a standard antenna connector can be used if you have a directional antenna with high enough gain at both ends lined up properly. I've seen more than a few people rig up solutions and post their instructions online, such as this page.

Invariable the best solutions I have seen involved finding old television service dishes that no longer exist, plus a "pringles can" style waveguide antenna. That plus some LMR, connectors and soldering iron gets you a solution priced acording to what you can get the antenna for.

Some of what I have read witht he really good solutions claim that the gain was so high that there posed a significant microwave danger in the immediate vicinity in front of the antenna, but I haven't seen anyone reporting an epidemic of dead birds falling off their roof as a result.

How high up a pole can you get the antennas?

Do you have clear LoS?

Are you willing to spend a little chunk of change?

calikool said:
Look around and get some WEP cracking tools and hack your neighbors network. If he's using WPA, move along.

No, don't do that. calikool, don't say that kinda stuff here; it can get you b7.

thedude42 said:
Some of what I have read witht he really good solutions claim that the gain was so high that there posed a significant microwave danger in the immediate vicinity in front of the antenna, but I haven't seen anyone reporting an epidemic of dead birds falling off their roof as a result.
yea, I was hoping for some free hotwings, but the birds just flew right by... :confused:

0ldman said:
yea, I was hoping for some free hotwings, but the birds just flew right by... :confused:

I work for a company that does WISP on the side, and with the amount of power we are putting out on the top of our 180 foot tower, we could fry a human's brain. The DC injectors in the building have to be unplugged when someone goes up the tower for maintenance.

sweet!!

I've got an old satellite dish here, like 6ft or so, I'm hoping to use for a point to point, just need to find out how much gain it is so I can drop my transmit to keep it legal.

Has anyone else had problems with these ads hijacking their cursor?

4 times I had to click back in the little box here to get my cursor back while I was typing.

You'll get monster gain from a 6ft dish. The trick is aiming it--you don't have much more than a couple degrees of margin of error. You won't have to worry about limiting signal power--the regulations are for total power, not power/area.

3 to 1 rule for PtP.

30dBm max input for 6dBi
24dBm max input for 24dBi directional
18dBm max input for 42dBi directional

The last one is 1000W EIRP, but as you said, you're focusing on a baseball from a mile away.

Back