wireless ethernet bridge options?

Gabe3

2[H]4U
I'm looking at the linksys WET54G

its kinda expensive at $80. is there something cheaper I can get? I want to hook up my tv which only has an ethernet port to my 102.11g linksys WRT54G router. The tv and router are at each end of the house. the wireless range on the router reaches far enough. I know because I can use my iphone's wifi where the tv is.

btw: I'm not sure if wireless eithernet bridge is the correct term.

Im interested in what is best and cheap for this too. I want to hook up my blue ray without running a wire.
Thanks

Im interested in what is best and cheap for this too. I want to hook up my blue ray without running a wire.
Thanks

Not quite the scope of this thread and even then, that's impossible.

there must be another way?

You can buy a wireless bridge but they are far more expensive then taking an old linksys router and flashing it with dd-wrt.

Get an Asus WL-520gC and flash it with DD-WRT Micro. It's $30 at newegg currently.

You might prefer the WL-520gC which has a USB port and larger Flash memory.

I have an old WRT54G running Tomato in Wireless Ethernet Bridge mode and it works like a charm. Been online for almost a year now without a single hiccup.

The retail Bridges are such a ripoff.

People need to get it out of their head that flashing the firmware on these SOHO routers is in some way "hard" or "dangerous". I have done it on various routers about 50 times now and haven't had a single issue. Gotta be pretty dumb to screw it up.

Not quite the scope of this thread and even then, that's impossible.

You can buy a wireless bridge but they are far more expensive then taking an old linksys router and flashing it with dd-wrt.

i think NoXiN has a bluray player that has an ethernet hookup.

after i flash a router to dd-wrt, how long does it take to configure it and get it working?

If you can configure your regular router for your normal uses, then you *should* be able to configure DD-WRT. that being said, if you've never worked on a managed switch before, you're likely going to see a whole lot of options in DD-WRT that you've never seen before, and it may throw you off.

Realistic estimate to flash the router, set new admin login/password, set SSID, set port groups, set encryption, and channel, and confirm link, and test speeds...1 hour, minimum, unless you've done it before...then 15 minutes (or so).

Realistic estimate to flash the router, set new admin login/password, set SSID, set port groups, set encryption, and channel, and confirm link, and test speeds...1 hour, minimum, unless you've done it before...then 15 minutes (or so).

Agreed.

Although I have done it quite a few times now and can probably get that done in 5-10 minutes.

Tomato is MUCH easier to setup then DD-WRT, and has just as many features (that you will actually use) in a much more intuitive layout.

You might prefer the WL-520gC which has a USB port and larger Flash memory.

You probably meant the WL-520gU. It supports the full version of DD-WRT, and is apparently also supported by Tomato. After rebate, it's also nominally cheaper than the WL-520gC, and even if not, I'd say that it was the better buy for the above reasons.

Tomato support could be especially nice, because many people prefer that and find it easier to set up.

Realistic estimate to flash the router, set new admin login/password, set SSID, set port groups, set encryption, and channel, and confirm link, and test speeds...1 hour, minimum

That's a very optimistic minimum, as there are lots of things which can be hard to understand and get right for a networking novice, or even a non-networking novice when the third-party stuff doesn't work as expected under some conditions / configurations.

Does anyone remember the Tomato firmware simulator? Polar Cloud used to have a simulator of their firmware on their site but i can no longer find it. It was incredibly helpful for showing people not familiar with it how it works and lets them mess around with it.

please note: my estimates are just that, estimates...my estimates. I cannot be held liable for someone not being able set up their particular environment within my estimated window.

cliffs: It's a guess

Polar Cloud used to have a simulator of their firmware on their site but i can no longer find it.

They also had a simple video of client mode setup, which presumably could be adapted for the bridge mode. I think both are currently unavailable due to some web site / bandwidth problems they're having.

Here's another article on client/bridge mode setup. Disclaimer: I haven't tried to follow and apply it myself, so give no personal endorsement. Just FYI:

http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials/print.php/3810281

Back