Wireless enterprise deployment, HP or Ubiquiti ?

Kedare

n00b
Hello.

I currently work for an enterprise that want to deploy wireless network (6AP for now) and I'm the one who will manage and install it.
I had initially planed to deploy Ubiquiti network because I've heard lot of good thing about them. But they did not wait me and bought (crappy?) HP access point (MSM410)

What do you think about HP wireless network ? They did not yet buy the access point controller and I'm not sure they want to buy one...

I can't find any review on the HP solutions it looks like no one is using it.

Do you recommend me to continue with the HP solution and buy a HP controller or go with Ubiquiti and rebuy the access points (no so much expensive in comparison with the price of the HP controller alone)

Thank you

Well, I'm sure the HP ones will work... But no experience or ever head of those tbh.

But, man... Unifi-APs and Unifi-Pros are something special. If they are willing to spend $300 an AP, I'd say your best bet is a Unifi system for that sized deployment.

Yes HP costs more but the HP are also VERY GOOD if not Excellent. Infact all their networking products are excellent. I still have good ole' B HP AP's in production they are rock solid (production line, used for inventories.). Not saying Ubiquities are bad but you can't go wrong with HP either. Support is also excellent. One down side is if you opened the HP stuff HP usually doesn't take it back.

Before we go any further, you'll need to define what you want out of your Wireless network...

Common Features of Enterprise Wifi:
802.1x
Guest Access (Separate SSIDs)
Seamless Roaming
Common Management
Easy remote provisioning
QoS
etc

What are you looking to accomplish? How big do you expect it to grow before replacement?

Features we need :

Transparent roaming
Multiple SSID
Captive Portal
MAC ACL per SSID (if possible)
QoS
802.3x (we want to identify each users)
Centralized management and fimware updates
Monitoring (who is connected where with what )

For now we just need to do wireless on conferences rooms (5 to 10 APs), I not yet sure we will deploy more after that

And they don't want to spend a lot of course...

Ok, there's the rub. Unfortunately with Ubiquiti Unifi, there is no seemless roaming capability YET. The clients will move out of range of their associated AP before attaching to another. Usually at the cost of bandwidth as the range increases and a ping or 2 for re-association.

Beyond that, the rest seems very doable with UniFi or any other Enterprise system. I'm a Meraki and Aruba Partner as well, and your requirements (other than dirt cheap) would be cake to implement.

But i've seen nothing about monitoring capabilities on the HP system.
Ubiquiti provides a nice interface with maps and graphs, I can see anything equivalent on the HP side...

Yes HP costs more but the HP are also VERY GOOD if not Excellent. Infact all their networking products are excellent. I still have good ole' B HP AP's in production they are rock solid (production line, used for inventories.). Not saying Ubiquities are bad but you can't go wrong with HP either. Support is also excellent. One down side is if you opened the HP stuff HP usually doesn't take it back.

I've heard bad things about their current WLAN line up (HP)

I've heard bad things about their current WLAN line up (HP)

Same.
We use HP Procurve switches at work and they are really good Also can't beat the free support and life time warranty.
However, I have not heard any good things about HP wireless gear. When were were looking at wireless our primary vendor said don't go with HP for wireless.

Ended up going with Unifi and they have been great.

We use the H3C APs and we have loads of issues with them. I have used Unifi and had no issues.

We have H3C routers and switchs, they are not worth Cisco or Juniper at all...
I would never buy something from them

In the process of phasing HP out. Take a look at Aerohive if you want a truly great wireless product. It will EASILY do all of your requirements.

Go with a company that specializes in wireless, whether that be Aerohive, Unifi, ruckus, etc.
Only time I would go cisco wireless is if you are 100% cisco and you really want to stay 100% cisco :D

If you are gonna listen to the guys talking Aerohive... go with Aruba instead. Awesome products and out of the Cisco/Aerohive/Aruba/Unifi's I've used in house, Aruba was the best.

If you are gonna listen to the guys talking Aerohive... go with Aruba instead.

I believe Apple, Chic-Fil-A, and myself would beg to differ :D

At the end of the day, you need to assess your needs and demo multiple wireless solutions to see which fits your needs.

I have about, 100 Unifi AP's and they are great. Plenty strong, good range, very simple to get up and running.

Back