Wireless dns question. Searched

spaceman

[H]F Junkie
I have installed a wireless adapter in a friends desktop. When I first installed it, it ran fine at their place. Then I took it home to clean it up a bit. When I brought it back to their place, I got the damn DNS 105 error. Tried everything I could think of. I took it back to my house and damn if it doesn't work fine here. What am I looking for here? Thanks

At their place, I get connection but cannot receive packets at all. I used my phone to connect to the same wifi and had no issues when I was there. Weird. I guess I have to reset the DNS somehow? It is screwed up with that particular wifi?

have you checked the proxy settings in the browser?
have you checked the network device to see if it's auto dhcp for both ip and dns server

can the machine ping an ip address like 4.2.2.2
Weird. I guess I have to reset the DNS somehow? It is screwed up with that particular wifi?
I thought you said you're phone was working fine on their wifi, so their wifi sounds good.

I mean is there some sort of conflict with the PC dns not the wifi which obviously works. Should I just reinstall chrome? Or is it deeper than that?

if you're not receiving packets, it's not chrome.

are you receiving an IP via DHCP?

If I was troubleshooting this issue I would:

1. Open a command prompt and type in "ipconfig /all" to see what IP address, what DNS server, etc I am getting. Am I getting a valid IP address for the network?
2. at the command prompt ping an IP address like (ping 4.2.2.2) to see if I can get from me to the outside world.
3. if I can ping an IP address I would ping a name to see if I get DNS resolution (ping www.yahoo.com).
4. If I get name resolution, I then check the settings on the web browser, is there a proxy server?

1. If I am not getting a valid IP address, I would check the TCP/IP settings to see if I have a static IP address. Though if I am getting a 169.254.x.x address, then I know I am not getting a DHCP connection.
2. If I can't ping the IP address, then I check to make sure I really do have a connection to the wifi, try typing in the wireless key again.
3. If I can ping the IP address, but no name resolution then I check the TCP/IP settings to see if a DNS server is specified, or if it is getting the IP address from DHCP.

IF I ASK FOR HELP ON A FORUM, AND ARE ASKED QUESTIONS, I ANSWER THE DAMN QUESTIONS INSTEAD OF TYPING OTHER CRAP THAT WON'T HELP PEOPLE HELP ME!

If I was troubleshooting this issue I would:

1. Open a command prompt and type in "ipconfig /all" to see what IP address, what DNS server, etc I am getting. Am I getting a valid IP address for the network?
2. at the command prompt ping an IP address like (ping 4.2.2.2) to see if I can get from me to the outside world.
3. if I can ping an IP address I would ping a name to see if I get DNS resolution (ping www.yahoo.com).
4. If I get name resolution, I then check the settings on the web browser, is there a proxy server?

1. If I am not getting a valid IP address, I would check the TCP/IP settings to see if I have a static IP address. Though if I am getting a 169.254.x.x address, then I know I am not getting a DHCP connection.
2. If I can't ping the IP address, then I check to make sure I really do have a connection to the wifi, try typing in the wireless key again.
3. If I can ping the IP address, but no name resolution then I check the TCP/IP settings to see if a DNS server is specified, or if it is getting the IP address from DHCP.

IF I ASK FOR HELP ON A FORUM, AND ARE ASKED QUESTIONS, I ANSWER THE DAMN QUESTIONS INSTEAD OF TYPING OTHER CRAP THAT WON'T HELP PEOPLE HELP ME!

facebook_like_button1.png

I can't ping anything on their wifi. It does not receive. Sorry. Thought that was clear. I can go through the rest when I reconnect it at my house on a working connection.

um, the problem isn't on your network. So taking it back to your house does not help. Taking it back to your network doesn't help you troubleshoot.

What IP address is the computer getting on your friends network? If you are getting a 169.254.x.x address then you are not getting an IP address.

Are you using Windows to control the network or are you using some software that came with the wireless card?

What security is your friends network using? WEP? WPA? WPA2?

I can't ping anything on their wifi. It does not receive. Sorry. Thought that was clear. I can go through the rest when I reconnect it at my house on a working connection.
sorry, but i want to be sure here. When you say you can't ping anything you mean you also can't ping ip addresses right? As in, you typed ping 4.2.2.2 (NOT LOCAL IP's like 192.168.x.x and not names like yahoo.com, but, specifically 4.2.2.2) and you got some sort of a failure?

Also, i am still confused. Earlier you said your phone was working fine on their wifi. So you have tested their wireless and works fine on your phone and other devices, just not on their desktop?

edit: if you don't want to ping 4.2.2.2 or you want to double check you can ping www.google.com's ip address instead: 74.125.227.20.

It means that the desktop flat out would not ping anything b/c something was blocking it from receiving.

Anyway, I just did a sys restore and re-installed the pci wireless software. Will find out if it works over there soon. Not going to do the initial wifi setup until I get it to their location.

Back