• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Wireless connection trouble with OS 10.5

Ragemaster

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 6, 2003
Messages
146
I am having trouble with the wireless connection to my router on my OS X 10.5 machine. Using Safari or Firefox, I cannot download web pages when connected to my own AP, but occasionally a page will partially load and then time out. Here are my observations:

- I can connect to other WiFi access points with no trouble
- Other machines can connect wirelessly to the problem AP with no issue
- I can connect to the router via ethernet cable and access the internet with no issue
- I've rebooted the router to default settings with no luck
- I can ping computers on the internet (e.g. google.com) with no problem
- I can telnet to computers on the internet (e.g. google.com) on port 80 and retrieve web pages with "GET"
- I cannot ssh into a remote machine; the attempt times out

Does anyone have any insight into this problem? It doesn't appear to be the router since other computers can retrieve web pages with no issue. It doesn't appear to be a DNS issue since I can ping and telnet into remote machines. However, ssh doesn't work and very rarely can I download a web page with a browser.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance
 
Might want to try disabling IPv6, rebooting and see what happens. Could also try deleting and recreating the wireless interface in OSX.

Aside from that, some questions I can think of are:
- What router is it? Any special firmware loaded?
- Are any of the other machines running 10.5? How about any version of OSX?
- Any wireless interference in the area?
- What kind of signal strength do you get where that 10.5 machine is at? NetStumbler may help in finding wireless dead spots.
 
To answer your questions:

The router is a Netgear wgr614 v6 with the default firmware -- disabling ipv6 on the Mac had no effect. The machine also says it is receiving full signal strength. There are two other machines on the network that are running XP and can access the AP with no issues.

This doesn't appear to be an interference issue since the other machines are working normally and moving the laptop to various locations (including right next to the router) doesn't help.

Everything was working fine for months until this came on suddenly. I am wondering if a recent OS X update or third party app updated itself and borked the connection settings.
 
Thanks for the help. Following these instructions to completely erase all networking settings, I was able to view web pages again, albeit only temporarily:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20091023172523809

After following the above steps, I was able to view web pages again for several minutes before it stopped working again. It seems as though there is a background process that may be screwing up the connection. Since I'm not too familiar with OS X, I'll have to figure out where in the directory structure startup items are located and hopefully one of them is the culprit.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top