wireless connection drops off intermittently

jubalskeiki

Limp Gawd
I've been having a very frustrating problem with my WIFI, I wasn't sure where the best place to put this was...it's not really a networking thing, I dunno if it's a hardware thing or a software thing. It's got me totally stumped. What will happen is my internet will be just fine and then suddenly it will stop seeing any SSID's at all. If I reboot that will usually fix it, although sometimes I have to reboot more than once. It's very random, sometimes it will be fine for a few months, sometimes it will have problems every few days, sometimes it will happen many times a day. I've tried reinstalling the driver and that doesn't help. I've tried running the windows troubleshooting thing and that doesn't help either. I really don't know where else to look or if it's possibly a setting somewhere or...I have no idea. I don't know of any changes I'd made just before it started happening...it just did out of the blue.

Are you sure the problem isn't your AP. Do you have anything other than the one computer there off of it? Do they all work fine?

I've been having a very frustrating problem with my WIFI, I wasn't sure where the best place to put this was...it's not really a networking thing, I dunno if it's a hardware thing or a software thing. It's got me totally stumped. What will happen is my internet will be just fine and then suddenly it will stop seeing any SSID's at all. If I reboot that will usually fix it, although sometimes I have to reboot more than once. It's very random, sometimes it will be fine for a few months, sometimes it will have problems every few days, sometimes it will happen many times a day. I've tried reinstalling the driver and that doesn't help. I've tried running the windows troubleshooting thing and that doesn't help either. I really don't know where else to look or if it's possibly a setting somewhere or...I have no idea. I don't know of any changes I'd made just before it started happening...it just did out of the blue.

What channel is the AP on ? Is it near a microwave ? Or any rf equipment ?

It doesn't just happen it one location. Also it isn't just my AP that disappears...it's all of them. I can go from having a list of ~10 SSID's to none. It doesn't just happen at home, it can happen anywhere. The AP is working fine, other computers work on it OK, it's just my PC. Windows just doesn't see any networks to connect to.

TY for the quick replies.

I will have this problem at work, at this new place I'm living, I had this problem at the old place, I've had it happen while connected to like starbucks connections...etc. It *could* happen anywhere.

when it stops seeing wireless networks due the state of the adapter change any? disable then reenable itself? vanish then come back?

Almost sounds like the card itself is just starting to fail.

when it stops seeing wireless networks due the state of the adapter change any? disable then reenable itself? vanish then come back?

Almost sounds like the card itself is just starting to fail.

It doesn't...it actually tends to happen kind of slowly. Like over say a couple of minutes SSID's will drop off the list, until there is just a red "x" that says "no networks available", and then I reboot and they all come back.

I've wondered if the card were failing...but I guess I'm just really hoping it isn't, because I dunno if I can change it in my laptop, and I really don't want to have to use a USB one, because it's so clunky.

Back