Wireless Community Network?? is it possible?

HardD99

[H]ard|Gawd
ok so what would i take to make a wireless network for a small community? there is currently no broadband available to my area, but i just got an email back from megapath.net with prices, but these prices are about triple what i would pay for internet service. here is a clip of what they sent me:

megapath9mt.gif

the $600 a month one was what i was looking at, and i was thinking of getting all of my neighbors to pitch in, i could have a wireless network setup and we could all share the connection. bad thing is tho, there are tons of trees around me and around all of my neighbors homes. so i would have to maybe put an antenna on top of a 50 foot pole or something? then maybe repeaters in each persons home to extend the range of the network. would something like this be possible, assuming this is not against megapaths policy, which is something i also need to check on. also would i be able to limit each persons speed, i wouldnt want someone taking up all the bandwidth. also would i be able to just shut one persons internet off if they decide not to pay anymore? anways i have alot of other questions but ill leave it at that for now, thx in advance guys!

I would run something like a monowall that way you can give certain protocols priority (ex. web browsing priority over file sharing)

you will need to use an antenna and maybe an amplifier for this. you don't want lots of repeaters as a setup because just remember, each level of complexity is another level of failure. This is a well documented situation. Look on broadbandforums.com and google. there is lots of research already done on this problem.

Back