Wireless Channel Question...

NoID

Limp Gawd
My school uses channel 11 for all its Wireless communications... is there anyway to lock my Intel wireless card to that channel in win2k. Is there anyway to disable auto discovery? It always picks up weak channels when I’m in an area where channel 11 is very strong. I have hit the “rescan” button on the “high rate wireless LAN settings” configuration utility to no avail. There has got to be a way to set channel to 11 to connect to the schools AP.

Try using the wireless software that comes with the card and not the windows configuration tool. They usually have the ability to do just what you are asking

That's just how client devices work in 802.11 land. They are looking for beacons across the spectrum. Unless a vendor wrote that into the driver specifically I guess and I do not believe anyone has of yet. Your post is pretty confusing though. You say your school uses only channel 11 but then mention "It always picks up weak channels when I’m in an area where channel 11 is very strong". What other wireless is there in your school on another channel if they use only one channel for their infrastructure?

Go into the wireless card's properties (device manager or something) and you should be able to set various settings. If not, then the card or drivers won't support it and you're out of luck.

You can set the channel on various client card. It's only effective in an Ad Hoc WLAN though. In infrastructure mode it's irrelevant. The card will scan for AP's on all channels. Disclaimer that as I said earlier, I suppose a vendor could write a driver that specifically disabled this but I would really doubt anyone would.

It sounds like you want to setup a profile such that you only connect to the school's APs. If so, configure your profile to only connect to configured connections. My neighbor has a wireless but I quit seeing it when I locked my Dell to "configured profiles only" mode.

Back