Wireless Carrier - North Jersey

SAgosto

Limp Gawd
I've had an iPhone w/ Verizon Wireless provided by my company for nearly 10 years and I am looking to get a cell phone and I feel completely lost trying to determine which provider. I am getting iPhone simply because of FT for my kids. I live in North Jersey (NYC metro area) so coverage shouldn't be a problem. I am not too concerned with speed as I use mostly Wifi and make calls/txt outside of my house. Should I just concentrate on price? It's shocking to see iPhones costing like $600-$1000!

I've had an iPhone w/ Verizon Wireless provided by my company for nearly 10 years and I am looking to get a cell phone and I feel completely lost trying to determine which provider. I am getting iPhone simply because of FT for my kids. I live in North Jersey (NYC metro area) so coverage shouldn't be a problem. I am not too concerned with speed as I use mostly Wifi and make calls/txt outside of my house. Should I just concentrate on price? It's shocking to see iPhones costing like $600-$1000!

You're probably fine picking, say, T-Mobile. I'd use their coverage map tool to see how good things are, but if you're in the NYC metro area you're probably good. To me, the advantage of T-Mobile isn't so much the pricing (it's better, but not night-and-day better) so much as it is that you're not stuck with a carrier fond of locking things down. Speed should be fine.

On iPhone pricing... well, the devices have usually been subsidized, so in some cases that $600-plus is what the phone really cost all along. The iPhone X is different as it's purposefully designed to sit above the usual iPhone price range.

Now I see why Apple has a shit ton of monies. I literally have no clue what data I need so I'll just guess.

Now I see why Apple has a shit ton of monies. I literally have no clue what data I need so I'll just guess.

Most major US carriers give you unlimited data these days... well, if you're willing to pay. I remember T-Mobile at least used to have a plan at Walmart that was ridiculously cheap ($30-35) if you didn't do much calling and were willing to accept a 5GB data cap.

Comcast's Xfinity Wireless, Total Wireless, MetroPCS, and T-Mobile are the carriers I would recommend right now.

Xfinity Wireless is for Xfinity cable customers only and it runs on Verizon's network. It is priced so low that Comcast is losing money. So if you want to stick it to Comcast, this is it.

Total Wireless is also running on Verizon's network. It's family plan is crazy low on pricing too.

MetroPCS is T-Mobile's cheaper branding. It doesn't include as many perks on it as T-Mobile does. I am on T-Mobile mostly because I travel, and T-Mobile's international data roaming and sms is included. T-Mobile One plan includes Netflix. T-Mobile also offers some perks on Tuesdays. I do remember T-Mobile's coverage on the other side of the bridge in Clifton/Edison/Montclair/Patterson being crap. I think Hoboken is alright. This was 2-3 years ago though, so maybe they've improved.

I dunno how old you are, but if you're over 55, there are "silver" plans you could also sign up for.

Honorable mention: GoogleFi

Last edited:
For north jersey I'd go with Verizon or T-Mobile. AT&T is slowly turning to trash in NY/NJ, and Sprint is... Sprint.

If you want to focus on cost, look into Simple Mobile, or Mint Mobile (https://www.mintmobile.com) which run off the T-Mobile network.

Great information in here. I have an iPhone 7 paid for my company and had a line for 10 years. I am leaving the company and they said I could take the #. Unfortunately, it comes with the 1.5 years left on the contract and verizon doesn't consider ME a new custom as the line has been active so i can't do the iphone bogo. I could port the # and let tmobile pay verizon for me (and my wife who is existing client) and keep # and take advantage of bogo. i just dont trust verizon givesn the issues we'd had. I guess I'll get a new # to avoid any contract issues with leaving and all that. i guess this is how the carries work....

Back