• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

wireless card kills winXP

Ranulfo

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Feb 9, 2006
Messages
5,822
Anyone heard of a laptop wireless card consistently killing winXP? I had it working barely after fixing the thinkpoint malware but now every time I turn on the wireless card (hardware switch on side of laptop), windows freaks out, blue screens briefly and reboots in a endless loop unless I go into safe mode with no networking or turn on the wireless via switch.

Wired network card works fine on the machine... system seems clean now but wondering if the malware/trojan killed wireless somehow?


System stats: Fujisu C series Lifebook 1.6ghz Pentium M, 1.2GB ram 40GB HD

TIA
 
I think it just might be a coincidence and the wireless card is just faulty. If you have a different wireless card you can try on the computer, try swapping them out and/or try the one you think is having issues in another laptop. See if it still gives you trouble.

You could remove the hard drive and load up a Linux Live CD to see what happens, this could rule out any software issues. Just go with a distro that supports your WLAN out the box, see what happens.

I'm fairly positive it's a hardware issue though.
 
Hmm, yeah could be it just dyin out. Gonna try a spare netgear usb wireless stick I have, see if that works with it. Now that I've dug deeper I see its missing its video card drivers and maybe some chipset ones. Surprised the thing worked fine for so long.

Apparently the family friend whos laptop this is was using an open router connection for net access... took me awhile to get rid of an old mcafee AV install, thinkpoint malware, some rogue32 trojan and a few others malwarebytes and MSE found.

Thanks for the reply.
 
Honestly, it sounds like a reformat and fresh install of Windows would answer any software related questions and doubts you have.
 
Back
Top