Wireless Bridge vs Wireless card

Status
Not open for further replies.

rgratto2

2[H]4U
I have my modem hooked up in my room with a wireless router attached. My PC is hooked up via ethernet, and my room mates use the wireless. My room is about 40 ft (I would estimate) and a wall or two from my entertainment center which houses the tv of course in addition to my ps3, wii and HTPC.

My HTPC has no wireless card, currently a malfunctioning old USB wireless stick. I want/need to get internet to that pc and get it on the network. The solutions I was considering were buying a wireless card (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124115) or buying a second router (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124190) and using it as a bridge (something which I have never done before). I already have a WRT54GL which I got recently and flashed with DD-WRT.

What would you recommend? Would I get a better signal with the bridge? I could also ethernet my PS3, which could potentially get a better signal? Would using the bridge allow me to boost my wireless connection in that area of my apt? Thoughts, recommendations welcome. Thanks.

if you use the router as a bridge for your ps3 and pc you'll be splitting the avilable bandwidth which maxes out on wireless g at 54 mb/sec.

I recommend leaving the ps3 alone and getting a new wireless card for the pc.

Actually wait. The bandwidth on wireless G is split either way, so you're better off just getting a wireless card. Its cheaper.

I was using a bridge and have switched over to a powerline adapter. Both worked well to provide low bandwidth connections to my HD-DVD, Xbox 360, Roku player, and any other device I need to have connectivity from the home entertainment area.

I was using a bridge and have switched over to a powerline adapter. Both worked well to provide low bandwidth connections to my HD-DVD, Xbox 360, Roku player, and any other device I need to have connectivity from the home entertainment area.

What made you decide to switch to the powerline? Aren't those a bit more expensive typically?

Edit: Going to go with the bridge. Price difference is negligible enough to not be a factor, and there are several other benefits for having an additional router.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back