wireless ap through college network

Corson

Limp Gawd
i have the same problem as the guy who posted this , but unfortunately i know less about networking than he did. basically i am in a dorm and trying to set up my wireless router. i am connected when im hardwired, but when im connected through the wireless, it will not work. sometimes i can connect to the wireless signal, sometimes it will not. i cannot enter configure the router when im hardwired by typing in 192.168.0.1 i have my ip addresses set for auto configuration. do i need to disable DHCP and manually configure them? if so, how do i know what to use?

thanks-corson

A guide on configuring static LAN IP addresses when behind a router,
http://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=177

You have 2 things that I see to fix though. First...find out how your college network allows connections. Many are locking down their networks...so that they cannot be abused. Some college IT staff are requiring certain computer NetBIOS names, others are doing MAC control. So introducing a new device may require a call to IT. Others are simply flat out refusing to allow routers...especially rogue wireless ones...as a way of limiting abuse. Generall the routers WAN port would be configured to "Obtain IP automatically"..but it might require a static IP, gateway, and the two DNS servers to be entered...something you'd need to get from a call to IT.

If your determine your router would be allowed...the second step would be to figure out why you only occasionally connect to it wirelessly. My hunch is someone else (at least) has a wireless device, you could get the same SSID and channels from neighbors...causing the mixup. Change your default SSID, and try a different channel.

alright i guess the best idea is just to contact IT, check if its ok, then have them help straighten out any problems, thanks.

Back