Wireless AP/Router Questions

heavenlykid

Limp Gawd
Ok i know some ones gonna say it can't me done and i say (bullshit). How do you convert a wireless router into a wireless AP? I have a linksys AP that is damn near a wireless router minus some of the crap on the setup screen. All i wanna do is have one router in one room and 70' away use another router to more or less repeat the signal again. Now I know some ones gonna say to buy a AP or a repeater and thats not an option AP's and Repeaters cost twice as much as router's. Also i have damn near an endless supply of routers so if any one could help me out I would greatly appreciate it. Also I have already tried DD-WRT and Tomato to do this with no luck.

Do you want to connect the two devices with wires or not? If they're to be wired together, then it's called an "access point", and you pretty much just need to disable the DHCP and use only the LAN ports on the second router.

If you want to connect them wirelessly, then it's called wireless bridging, and you have a few different options for this with DD-WRT v24 for example. Client bridge mode to start, and once that's working, switch to repeater bridge mode and add a virtual interface for the "repeater". The client/repeater bridge modes don't have any special requirements for the main router / access point.

Alternatively, if you have DD-WRT or something else with compatible support on both ends, you could use WDS.

Ok in that case i need to do wireless bridging. because there is no wire between the routers. I just more or less wanna catch a weak signal from one router and reboost it back up so the wireless range will be extended. but the catch here is both routers can not run DD-Wrt as the first router is a linksys and it has to stay that way but i can install DD-Wrt onto the second router. But not sure if i can bridge off of Linksys Firmware. So more or less router one is lInksys firmware and router 2 would be DD-wrt but i dont beleive its possible to bridge with 2 diff firmwares is it?

Ok in that case i need to do wireless bridging. because there is no wire between the routers. I just more or less wanna catch a weak signal from one router and reboost it back up so the wireless range will be extended. but the catch here is both routers can not run DD-Wrt as the first router is a linksys and it has to stay that way but i can install DD-Wrt onto the second router. But not sure if i can bridge off of Linksys Firmware. So more or less router one is lInksys firmware and router 2 would be DD-wrt but i dont beleive its possible to bridge with 2 diff firmwares is it
I'm not sure a wireless bridge will act as a repeater. You may need to buy an actual repeater...

isnt a bridge and a repeater pretty much the same thing?

Negative.

A bridge can act as a wireless endpoint..and have ethernet ports to plug wired nodes into.

A repeater...well...picks up a signal..and repeates it. Doesn't need to have anything else plugged into it except electrical.

If you want to connect them wirelessly, then it's called wireless bridging, and you have a few different options for this with DD-WRT v24 for example. Client bridge mode to start, and once that's working, switch to repeater bridge mode and add a virtual interface for the "repeater". The client/repeater bridge modes don't have any special requirements for the main router / access point.

To repeat:

1. You only need DD-WRT v24 on the second device
2. Set it up in client bridge mode first
3. Once you've confirmed (2) is working, switch it to repeater bridge mode
4. and add a virtual interface for the "repeated" wireless network.

To repeat:

1. You only need DD-WRT v24 on the second device
2. Set it up in client bridge mode first
3. Once you've confirmed (2) is working, switch it to repeater bridge mode
4. and add a virtual interface for the "repeated" wireless network.
Nice! I'm sorry, I glazed over that part of your post before. Didn't remember seeing an option like that last time I set that feature up, although that was VERY long ago when I was using one as a bridge.

Didn't remember seeing an option like that last time I set that feature up, although that was VERY long ago when I was using one as a bridge.

It's only been there as of v24, so it's not surprising that many people don't know about it.

Back