Wireless Adapter for Desktop Suggestions

infect0

[H]ard|Gawd
Does anyone have any suggestions for wireless adapters. I was leaning more towards one of those small units that can connect to a system with USB or Ethernet. Has anyone had any experience with these and gaming? I could go for a PCI addon card but seems like there is too much of a limitation when it comes to the antennas whereas with the standalone box I can move it to get the best reception. Any input? Thanks!

I used the Linksys WUSB54GC adapter for a couple of years. I like USB deviced but in the long run there are two things to consider:

1. Driver support: Linksys released Vista (32-bit only) drivers for the adapter. I was able to get drivers straight from Ralink for 64-bit support (though had to add several lines to the inf file). When a newer adapter comes out, they lose motivation to continue support of the older models. You never know when a new Windows version (or even service pack) will require new network drivers.

2. Other uses: With a few exceptions, a USB adapter will work only on a PC (possibly only Windows).

By going with a device that connects over ethernet, both of these problems are elminated. You can plug it into a game console, dvr, pc, etc. You also no longer have to worry about drivers either. Many of these models act as wireless bridges and allow you to connect them to a switch and share your wireless internet with many wired devices.

On the downside, devices that connect over ethernet require an external power source (AC adapter plugged into wall) and can be harder to configure.

I personally would go with the Linksys WGA600N, which is what I am using in my current setup.

Thanks for the detailed reply and suggestions mate.

Think I will end up getting a ethernet device and going to look at the WGA600N. First time I have looked at these types of devices so you never know how good or crappy they are.

Back