• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Wireless adapter "cover" question

limitedaccess

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
May 10, 2010
Messages
7,592
So I have Dlink DWA-552, is the metal cover over it for any purpose?

http://www.dlink.ca/products/?pid=531
(the case the label is over)

I'm basically trying to resolve an issue where it will lose connection and not regain it without restarting. Maybe removing it to relieve heat.
 
Doubt its generating.much heat... However the metallic cover is problably effectively spreading the heat across.it
 
I've taken it off to look, I doubt it is heat spreader (well at least a functional one), it actually isn't touching anything inside.

In terms of acting as a faraday cage, there is another metal case inside over a portion of the card that is hard soldered to the PCB.

On a side note, the tiny Intel wireless in my laptop has a more reliable connection then this thing, lol... Really should have spent the extra for powerline ethernet.
 
Back
Top