wireless access point question - plus save a furry creature

Hi

Here's your chance to save a furry animal from unspeakable torture. I'm having difficulties with my wireless access point and am on the verge of persecuting said defenceless creature to ease the tension.

Anyway setup is as follows - shitbox PIII 1GHz has USB ADSL internet connection (set for sharing) into which is plugged a netgear WG602v2 (g-spec) access point. Then there's a notebook with a g card. That's it, pretty straight forward you;d think.

Anyhoo, have followed instructions which boil down to:

Configure such and such IP and subnet mask on host PC's ethernet LAN connection. Then ur sposed to configure the access point via your browser by plugging in the default IP of access, as per usual for these things.

Thing is, I can't access the, er, access point on the host PC - I've tried all sorts of messing with IPs etc but no fecking worky. The ethernet connection on the PC and status light on the access indicate a connection has been achieved. The notebook PC card has no probs connecting to the access point and in 'network connections' on the notebook I can see the ADSL connection and its status and packets sent/recieved etc. BUT I cannot access the internet. I can access the browser config utility for the access point on the notebook. I tried switching on and off the DHCP server on the access point but that didn;t do anything (do I want it on or off, by the way?).

That's, 3 hours of my life up in smoke last night trying to fix this fucker. Any help gratefully accepted.

Well, if you have a firewall and have the ports reversed, you are limited from getting out because it is really the in port. Firewalls are basically one-way devices, what goes out is fine, what comes in is blocked.

OK, I just got off my lazy fingers and looked it up. It is an access point only.

Things to confirm for me instead of the such and such:

1) Do the ethernet in the modem-attached PC and the wireless PC share a common subnet? I'd set the DHCP on the AP to off and see if the shared network on the modemed PC will issue it an address.

2) Does the wireless PC have the ethernet of the modemed PC as its gateway?

3) The AP is basically a bridge even though it can probably have an IP address. Can you ping the AP from BOTH machines?

4) Have you considered ditching the USB modem and getting an Ethernet DSL modem to resolve all this crap?

Thanks for your response to which I will add:

1. Not sure will check

2. Yes

3. Dunno, but can only access the browser config utility on the wireless PC.

4. Well no, but there's no reason this setup shouldn't work, it's a very simple one that I have achieved easily enough before with very similar equipment. There's absolutely no reason why it shouldn't work.

Generally, what is foxing me and what I think could be the problem is that I cannot access the AP's config utility from the host PC so there is clearly something wrong there.

Can you hook the laptop up wired and see if it can connect to the AP?

I'm just trying to eliminate possibilities here.

Yeah, it connects fine, and like I said, it can access the AP config through IE and can even see the ADSL connection in Network Connections

OK, so help me out here.

1) The laptop can access the AP config from either wireless or wired connections?

2) The wired PC w/USB DSL cannot see the AP but can surf the internet?

3) Have you tried it by connecting the PC w/USB DSL directly to the laptop wired with a reversed cable or whatever the proper term is for a null-hub cable?

I think your problem is the USB-DSL PC and not the AP or the laptop. These things should confirm or disprove that.

1. Wired, obviously, it's only an access point and it's connected to the desktp

2. Correct. It has a pre-existing USB ADSL connectio which is functioning normally and configied for sharing

3. No we haven't tried connecting via a cross over cable, but we have connected the USB ADSL modem to the laptop and it works fine there too.

I agree, the problem is on the PC, not lapop, but I wish I knew what the fucking problem is. Is there any way of entirely wiping clean a system's networking settings without reinstalling. The PC used to be on a university network and I think there may be some buried network config that is screwing everything up.

OK, now that we agree on that, you can delete all the protocols under the network card and then uninstall the network card but leave it in the machine. Reboot and it should redetect the hardware. Go from there.

Go to control panel, network, select the proper interface and remove all the things in the box. Then uninstall the NIC from device manager.

Did you ever find out if the ethernet port of the DSL-connected PC, the access-point, and the rest of your clients were sharing the same subnet?

Back