Wireless AC networking question

Nirad9er

2[H]4U
So I have a wireless AC router (max 867mbps) with WPA2 encryption and when I transfer files between my two computers (both have AC adaptors) the max I can get is 15MB transfer rate. Isn't this defeating the purpose of having AC speed? Theoretically I should get over 100MB / sec in a perfect world. I originally had wireless N adapters with the AC router, but upgraded to AC adaptors and the transfer speed barely increased.

Someone please explain to me the point of the speed if you can't use it.

What can be done to increase the networking speed on wireless? My router and computers are all within 10ft of each other.

There are a lot of factors.

RF noise or other 5Ghz WiFi networks could be killing your signal.

Your channel settings may be screwed up. You may be trying to push 160Mhz channels which could be getting interference.

Download inSSIDer and capture a screenshot on 5Ghz to see what other networks you can see. Then post it here.

Which AC adapters did you get? (List the full model as a LOT of them don't go to 867mbps)

Also, which router? you have to setup a 5GHz SSID with AC mode on

Here is a screen shot from inSSIDer.

Your channel is operating at 20mhz width when it should be operating at 80mhz width.

You can see two networks that are running at 40mhz width.

Check the 5Ghz settings in the router and make sure that it is set to "Up to 867 Mbps" according to the manual. If there is an option for channel width set it to 80mhz and select a channel between 52-64

Your channel is operating at 20mhz width when it should be operating at 80mhz width.

You can see two networks that are running at 40mhz width.

Check the 5Ghz settings in the router and make sure that it is set to "Up to 867 Mbps" according to the manual. If there is an option for channel width set it to 80mhz and select a channel between 52-64

it's set to "up to 867 Mbps" but I don't see an option to change channel width. Is that a problem?

it's set to "up to 867 Mbps" but I don't see an option to change channel width.

The manual sucks. Is there anything about mixed mode for 5ghz or something along the lines of operating mode like N or AC?

Maybe take a screenshot of the wireless settings from the router.

Are you sure that you are connecting to the 5Ghz network?

Are other devices connected to the 5Ghz SSID when you are running these tests? If so disconnect all other 5Ghz clients and prevent them from connecting when you test with your ac client.

I see the 5Ghz channel is set to 40, earlier it was running on 153. Did you change the channel? (Change it to 52 as I suggested earlier)

I don't really see a whole lot of settings that you can change in the stock firmware. Make sure the latest firmware is installed on the router.

To be 802.11ac Wave 1 it has to be 5Ghz with 80 mhz wide channels; required not optional. From your inSSIDer shot it shows it operating at a 20mhz channel which may suggest either the router is entering protected mixed mode for legacy 802.11a/n clients or may even be malfunctioning.

Try disconnecting all other clients if there are any and then try the speed tests and inSSIDer again. Let us know if there is any difference.

wow, your firmware is OLD, update to the latest one and check if that fixes it, I had a problem with my Asus router where the firmware that I had, had a bug that would default N+AC mode to N only so you might be having the same thing

Answer the other questions that I posted if you want me to continue to assist you. Otherwise I will take it is that you have given up on troubleshooting.

Are you sure that you are connecting to the 5Ghz network?

Are other devices connected to the 5Ghz SSID when you are running these tests? If so disconnect all other 5Ghz clients and prevent them from connecting when you test with your ac client.

I see the 5Ghz channel is set to 40, earlier it was running on 153. Did you change the channel? (Change it to 52 as I suggested earlier)

I don't really see a whole lot of settings that you can change in the stock firmware. Make sure the latest firmware is installed on the router.

To be 802.11ac Wave 1 it has to be 5Ghz with 80 mhz wide channels; required not optional. From your inSSIDer shot it shows it operating at a 20mhz channel which may suggest either the router is entering protected mixed mode for legacy 802.11a/n clients or may even be malfunctioning.

Try disconnecting all other clients if there are any and then try the speed tests and inSSIDer again. Let us know if there is any difference.

There's only 2 devices on the 5G network (the two computers I'm trying to transfer files between.)

I did change the channel to see if it made a difference, but then I changed it back.
There is no channel 52 as an option (36, 40, 44, 48, 149, 153, 157, 161)

Typically, what wireless transfer speed should I be getting on 867Mbps?

Typically, what wireless transfer speed should I be getting on 867Mbps?

Of the top. With ANY Wi-Fi product listing: adapter, router, or technology (802.11xx) it's a straight 50% off the top. Wireless has been, and most likely always will be, a half-duplex technology. Your real world theoretical max from that listing is 450Mbps under perfect conditions. On top of that you have to take another 20% (at least) off the top for encoding. It can be even more with Wireless but I'm being generous.

That takes things down to 360Mbps realistically as your theoretical max. Given you're on a 40Mhz channel doing 15MBps, running on 80Mhz should get you close to the limit of 45MBps (360Mbps). Transferring from computer to computer wireless further impacts performance.

There is a lot more that meets the eye. This is why those questions matter, but that gives you an idea of where things are.

There's only 2 devices on the 5G network (the two computers I'm trying to transfer files between.)

Are both clients 802.11AC?

Like Liger said you should see 30MB/s.

Are both clients 802.11AC?

Like Liger said you should see 30MB/s.

Yes. I did a test and hooked up one computer by wired and the other wireless. The speed increased to about 37MBps but when both are on wireless, its 15max

Yes. I did a test and hooked up one computer by wired and the other wireless. The speed increased to about 37MBps but when both are on wireless, its 15max

There ya go.

Every client you add to the wireless network shares the throughput.

There ya go.

Every client you add to the wireless network shares the throughput.

What do you mean? Even thought one computer isn't using any traffic, the speed gets reduced when transferring files because you have more devices? Should it be related to how much total traffic and not the number devices. Can you explain

What do you mean? Even thought one computer isn't using any traffic, the speed gets reduced when transferring files because you have more devices? Should it be related to how much total traffic and not the number devices. Can you explain

Wireless is a shared medium. Just because the other computer is transmitting data doesn't mean that it is not still passing wireless traffic and contending for the wireless medium.

Wireless can only send or receive at any given time. So when you file share between a cable > wireless the speed is unaffected, but if you share wireless > wireless then both sides speed gets cut in half. This happens again and again with each wireless client you're transferring to at the same time.

Back